Albert E. Benson
Saint Mark's School in the War against Germany



ENTERED the O.T.C., Plattsburg Barrack, N.Y., May 12, 1917. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry, May 26, and Captain of Infantry Aug. 15, at the expiration of camp. Assigned to the 151st Depot Brigade, Sept. 1, 1917. Promoted to Major of Infantry Dec. 30. Transferred to the 303rd Infantry May 15, 1918, and sailed for France July 5. Sent to the School of the Line (short course), Nov. 13. Transferred to the 106th Infantry Dec. 10. Arrived in the U.S. March 4, 1919, and was discharged Apr. 30.



ENLISTED in the U.S. Marine Corps May 11, 1917, as a Private. In Oct. appointed 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps, Flying Corps, and was Instructor in elementary flying, acrobatics, bombing and gunnery. In 1918, Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps. Instructor in cloud flying and officer in charge of Cadets at the Marine Flying Field, Miami, Fla. Placed on inactive duty March 12, 1919.



ENTERED the S.A.T.C. at Columbia University, Oct. 3, 1918. Rank, Private. Honorably discharged Dec. 11, 1918.



AT the Plattsburg Training Camp from Aug. to Nov., 1917; commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, U.S.R., Nov. 27; assigned to Company C, 102nd M.G. Battalion, March 29, 1918; assigned to M.G. Company, 102nd Infantry, Aug. 27; commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry Oct. 24; assigned as Assistant in the Inspector General's Department, Base Section 6, in March, 1919. Honorably discharged Aug. 7, 1919. Took part in the following major engagements: Aisne-Marne offensive, July 18-24; St. Mihiel offensive, Sept. 12-16; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Oct. 23-Nov. 11, 1918.



ENLISTED in the Norton-Harjes Volunteer Ambulance Service, March 15, 1917, and served with Section 11 until Sept. 15. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., U.S.R., Nov. 30. Assigned to the 146th F.A. in Apr., 1918. In action in the Château-Thierry sector from July 10 to Aug. 15, 1918. Ordered to the U.S., for assignment to a new division, Aug. 30, 1918, and assigned to the 33rd F.A. Oct. 3, and commissioned 1st Lieutenant, F.A.U.S.A. Discharged from the service Dec. 12, 1918.



ATTENDED the S.A.T.C. at Cambridge, Mass., from Oct. 22 to Dec. 12, 1918. Rank, Private.



ENLISTED and went into active service as Quartermaster of the 3rd class in the U.S.N.R.F. at Newport, March 27, 1917. Went t Block Island Sept. 1. Commissioned as Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Jan. 17, 1918, and stationed at Newport. Transferred to Washington as Communication Officer Feb. 3, and March 3 transferred again and made Officer Messenger. Sept. 3, transferred to New London and stationed at the U.S. Experimental Station in the Test Department.. Oct. 15, transferred to the U.S. Naval Station at New London, attached to the Hydrophone School. Put on inactive duty Dec. 17, 1918. Served on the following patrol boats: U.S.S. S.P.4.; U.S.S. Vision; U.S.S. S.P.212.



AT the Plattsburg O.T.C. from May to Aug., 1917. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., R:C., Aug. 15; Personnel Officer, 303rd F.A. from Aug., 1917, to Feb., 1918. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant F.A., N.A., Dec. 31, 1917. At the School for Aerial Observers, Fort Sill, Okla., from Feb. to May, 1918; the A.S. Concentration, Camp Dick, Dallas, Tex., from May to July; 276th Aero Squadron (Aeroplane observer), Camp Jackson, S.C., from July to Aug. Landed at Brest, France, Sept. 12; F.A. Replacement, Le Courneau, France in Sept. A.S. Replacement, St. Maixent, France, in Oct., 1918; 2nd Corps, Aviation School, Chatillon-sur-Seine, in Nov.; 354th Aero Squadron, Saiserais, France, in Dec., 1918. Personnel Officer, 2nd Army AS., Toul, from Jan. to May, 1919. 9th A.S. Casual Co., Colombey-les-Belles, in May. G-5 (Athletics), Inter-Allied Games, Paris, June-July. Returned to the U.S. Aug. 18. Honorably discharged at Garden City, L.I., as 1st Lieutenant, A.S., Sept. 4, 1919.



WITH the American Ambulance in France in 1915, and Major in the Ordnance Department, U.S.A., in France, 1917-1918.



ENTERED C Company, 1st Corps of Cadets, Mass. N.G., as a Private, Jan. 9, 1917, and went on active state recruiting duty March 25. Made Corporal in the same company and corps Apr. 12; Corporal in C Company, 1st Mass. Engineers, Mass. N.G., May 22; Sergeant in the same, July 11; Supply Sergeant in the same, July 24; and was discharged from the Mass. N.G. Aug. 4. Mustered into the Federal service Aug. 5; made Supply Sergeant, Hq. 1st Mass. Engineers, Aug. 18, and the same, Hq. 101st Engineers, Aug. 22. Made Ordnance Sergeant, Ordnance Department, N.A., assigned to the 101st Engineers, Sept. 17, and left the U.S. for overseas service Sept. 25. West Point Candidate at Langres, France, Oct. 11, 1918, and Candidate, 2nd Army Infantry Candidate School at La Valbonne, France, Nov. 6. Discharged as enlisted man March 21, 1919, at Ecommoy, France, and commissioned March 22 as 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, assigned to F Company, 101st Engineers. Returned to the U.S. Apr. 4, and was discharged at Camp Devens Apr. 28, 1919. Front line service and battles were as follows: Chemin des Dames, Feb. 9 to Mar. 22, 1918; Boucq sector, Mar. 31 to May 15; La Reine sector, May 15 to June 26; Pas Fini sector, July 9 to 15; Marne-Champagne defensive, July 15 to 17; Aisne-Marne offensive, July 17 to Aug. 6; St. Mihiel salient, Sept. 12 to 16; Troyon sector Sept. 16 to Oct. 10, 1918. At present [Oct. 26, 1919], 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, unassigned, Mass. Volunteer Militia.



JOINED the 101st Engineers May 4, 1917, and was made Corporal July 8. Sailed for France Sept. 25. Made Sergeant March 16, 1918, and 2nd Lieutenant of Engineers Nov. 14. Was engaged in the Chemin des Dames and Toul sectors. Left the 101st Engineers July 1, 1919, and from then on was with the Fire Prevention Bureau as an Inspector. Returned to the U.S. July 8, 1919.



ENLISTED Oct. 3, 1918, as a Private, 7th Company, Central M.G.O.T.S., Camp Hancock, Ga. Discharged Nov. 26, 1918.



AT the Harvard R.O.T.C. from May to Aug., 1917, and commissioned Provisional 2nd Lieutenant, U.S.A., Oct. 26. Reported for training at the Army Service Schools, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Nov. 26, and was assigned to the 14th F.A. Promoted to Temporary 1st Lieutenant, from Oct. 26. Reported for duty with the 14th F.A. March 11, 1918, and served with them at the School of Fire, Fort Sill, Okla., until Dec. 27, 1918. Resigned and was discharged Jan. 14, 1919.



ENLISTED as Candidate, 2nd Plattsburg Training Camp, Aug. 25, 1917. Commissioned Captain of Infantry, R.C., Nov. 27; attached to the 79th Division, Camp Meade, Md. May 2, 1918, assigned to Lehigh University, U.S.A. Training Detachment as Commanding Officer. Aug. 15, assigned to Camp Mabry, Austin, Tex., commanding U.S.A. Training Detachment. Aug. 20, promoted to Major of Infantry. Dec. 24, 1918, honorably discharged as Major of Infantry, U.S.A.



ENLISTED in the Norton-Harjes Ambulance Corps, July 19, 1917, in Paris, and was sent to the Aisne front to join section 5 (S.S.U.5) in the first week of Aug. Remained at Vailly, on the Aisne, attached to the 66th Division of Chasseurs, until Sept. 1. After three weeks' rest, returned with the same division to the same place. Remained at the front four weeks, assisting in the preparation for the attack on Fort Malmaison. Relieved by U.S. Army Ambulance men, Oct. 25, and returned to the U.S., landing Nov. 10. No individual citation, but this section was the only ambulance section to receive the "Fourragère de la Médaille Militaire." Enlisted in the C.A.C., June 24, 1918, at Fort Monroe, Va. Entered the O.T.C., and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant Sept. 25. Served as Assistant Secretary of the Coast Artillery School at Fort Monroe until discharged, Dec. 20, 1918.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of Cavalry, O.R.C., May 10, 1917, and 1st Lieutenant Aug. 15. Left New York for overseas service Sept. 8. Assigned to General Hq., A.E.F., at Chaumont, France, in Oct. Detailed as Representative of the 4th Section of the General Staff of General Hq. at the French General Hq. in July, 1918, and transferred in the same capacity to Marshal Foch's Hq. in Oct., remaining there until June, 1919. Detailed to the General Staff Corps as 1st Lieutenant in Dec., 1918, and promoted to Captain, General Staff Corps, in Feb., 1919. Received the Distinguished Service Medal (American Army) Apr. 5, 1919; the British Military Cross Apr. 4; and the Legion of Honor Apr. 4. U.S. Member of the Interallied Joint Secretariat of Council of Five Principal Allied and Associated Powers, Quai d'Orsay, Paris, Peace Conference, July-Oct., 1919. Honorably discharged from the Army in Paris Oct. 25, and returned to the U.S. in Nov., 1919. The citation for the Distinguished Service Medal follows.

"As the representative of G-4 of the A.E.F., at the Direction Générale des Communications et des Ravitaillements aux Armées, he displayed marked ability and devotion to duty in a position of great responsibility. He handled, with tact and sound judgment, the involved and delicate questions continually arising in connection with our relationship with the Allied armies, and rendered services of great value to the Government."

The citation for the British Military Cross reads, "In recognition of meritorious services rendered the Allied Cause."

The recommendation for the Legion of Honor was for services similar to those mentioned in the Distinguished Service Medal citation.



ENLISTED in the Marine Corps Oct. 15, and was discharged Feb. 1, 1919. Ranked as Private throughout recruit duty at Paris Island, S.C. The Marine Corps was part of the 15th Regiment of the U.S. Marine Corps.



LEFT Yale in Apr., 1917, to join the N.R.F. at Newport, R.I. Held the rank of Gunner's Mate there until Oct., and then was transferred to the Naval Aviation as a student aviator, with the rank of Chief Quartermaster. Stationed at Cambridge, Mass., until Apr., 1918; then became ill with pneumonia, and was placed on inactive service, so remaining until the armistice was signed.



ENLISTED Oct. 1, 1917, at Chicago, and entered the A.S. 2nd Lieutenant, A.S., Reserve Military Aviator. Flying Instructor for six months. Discharged at Arcadia, Fla., Dec. 2, 1918.



ENLISTED Apr. 13, 1917, in K Company, 7th N.Y.N.G. Regiment, which was federalized into the 107th U.S. Infantry July 15. From Sept., 1917, to May, 1918, trained at Spartanburg, S.C., as part of the 27th (N.Y.) Division. Left Newport News for France, and arrived at Brest May 24, 1918. Appointed Company Agent of Liaison (i.e., mainly a runner) with the rank of 1st class Private. July-Sept., 1918, did front line service with the 27th Division in Flanders and France. Took part in the following battles and engagements: recapture of Kemmel Hill; engagements at the East Poperinghe Line; and at Dickebush Lake. All these were in the Ypres sector, Belgium. In the St. Quentin sector, took part in the early stages of the British-American offensive against the Hindenburg line between St. Quentin and Cambrai, from Sept. 26 to Oct. 15. Skull was fractured by shrapnel Sept. 28 at Bellicourt. Discharged after hospital treatment.



From Oct., 1917, to Sept., 1918, Private in the Yale R.O.T.C. (Artillery.) From Oct. 6 to Dec. 15, 1918, Private in the S.A.T.C. Battery A, of Yale University.



ENLISTED Oct. 19, 1918, in the Harvard Unit, S.A.T.C., as a Private, and was honorably discharged from it with the same ranking Dec. 4, 1918.



ENLISTED Oct. 10, 1918, in the Harvard Unit, S.A.T.C., at Cambridge, Mass. Received the temporary rank of Corporal, and was later promoted to Sergeant. Discharged from the service Dec. 18, 1918.



ENLISTED in the Harvard R.O.T.C. May 20, 1917, and was discharged Aug. 15. Admitted to the 2nd R.O.T.C., Fort Myer, Va., Aug. 27. Commissioned Captain of Infantry, R.C., Nov. 27. With the 155th Depot Brigade, Camp Lee, Va., from Dec. 15 to 31, and the Hq., General Supply Depot and Concentration Camp, Morristown, Va., from Jan. 15, 1918, to Apr. 12. Transferred to the 309th Infantry, 78th Division, Camp Dix, N.J., and reported for duty Apr. 17. Sailed from Brooklyn, N.Y., May 20; landed at Southampton, June 4, and at Calais June 11. Participated in minor operations with the Australian 1st Corps from July 1 to 5. In the St. Mihiel sector from Sept. 12 to Oct. 4, and the Argonne forest from Oct. 10 to Nov. 6. Sailed from Brest Feb. 28, and landed in New York March 6. Discharged at Camp Dix, N.J., March 7, 1919. [Report by Secretary.]



ENTERED the 1st O.T.C. at Fort Sheridan May 1, 1917; was commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Cavalry, U.S.R., Aug. 15; assigned to Company C, 332nd M.G. Battalion, Sept. 1. Commanding Officer, Company C, 332nd M.G. Battalion, Sept. 5 to Nov. 1; Acting Aide-de-Camp to Brigadier-General L. W. V. Kennon, Nov. 7 to Feb. 20, 1918; commissioned Captain of Infantry, U.S.A., Dec. 31, 1917; Acting Adjutant, 171st Brigade, Feb. 20, 1918, to June 25; Commanding Officer, Company B, 332nd M.G. Battalion, June 25 to Oct. 20; Commanding Officer, Company C, 9th M.G. Battalion, Oct. 23 to Dec. 16; Commanding Officer, Company B, 348th M.G. Battalion, Feb. 15, 1919 to Apr. 24. Discharged at Camp Lewis Apr. 24, 1919. Served in the Meuse-Argonne offensive and with the Army of Occupation. Went overseas with the 86th Division, fought with the 3rd Division, and came home with the 91st.



JULY 20, 1917, enlisted as a Private in the 14th Engineers (Railway), which July 27 sailed from the U.S., Aug. 15 paraded through London, and Aug. 21 arrived at the front, six miles south of Arras, attached to the British as Light Railway Troops. March 21, 1918, in the Somme defensive, Army Troops. June 10 transferred to the Light Railway Hq., General Hq., A.E.F. Oct. 1 commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Engineers, and Feb. 13, 1919, 1st Lieutenant. Apr. 6 returned to the U.S., and Apr. 12,was discharged.



WILLIAM HALSALL CHENEY was born at Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the fifteenth of January, 1897. He was the younger son of Charles Paine Cheney and Mary Ward (Lyon) Cheney (Mrs. Wm. H. Schofield). He fitted for college at the Château de Lancy, Geneva, Switzerland, in 1910 and 1911, and at St. Mark's from 1911 to 1916. Interested deeply in science and mechanics, and particularly in aviation, he nevertheless met the daily duty of work and play at school with such conscientiousness and enthusiasm that in athletics, for which at first he did not seem to be particularly well fitted, he not only played for two years on the football team, but developed a power for leadership which resulted in his election as Captain. He was appointed to a monitorship in recognition of his loyalty to the School, and of the respect in which he was held by all its members. He had travelled extensively in the United States and Europe, including Panama and Iceland. He entered Harvard with the class of 1920, and in the spring and summer vacation of 1916 went to the Curtis Aeronautical School at Newport News.


Cheney enlisted in the Signal Enlisted Reserve Corps on the thirty-first of March, 1917; entered the School of Military Aeronautics at Urbana, Illinois; and graduated as an honor student on the twenty-fifth of July, 1917. He was then sent abroad, on the thirteenth of August, as a member of the American Expeditionary Force, and was the first member of this command to complete his Italian Military Flying Brevet. This was on October eighteenth, 1917. He was commissioned as First Lieutenant in the Aviation Section, Signal Officers' Reserve Corps, on the twenty-third of November, 1917, and "thereafter as before," according to the Orders of the Day, January second, 1918, signed by Major William Ord Ryan, "showed his abilities as a soldier and endeared himself to all men of the command." Major Ryan reports that his death at Foggia, Italy, which occurred on the twentieth of January, 1918, was due to an almost impossible and wholly unavoidable accident. With Lieutenant Oliver B. Sherwood as observer he was piloting a machine over the flying field. Another machine, piloted by Aviation Cadet George A. Beach, was also in the air. A very low cloud of fog blew over the field and closed around Cheney's machine. He immediately turned to get out of it, and as the machine emerged it struck that of Cadet Beach, who was also trying to avoid the fog. Both machines fell to the ground, a distance of about one hundred and fifty feet. Lieutenant Gordon C. Prince writes that as the machines came together Cheney did the right thing, and banked up steeply to his left, while Beach did the same. It was too late, however, and the right wings of the aeroplanes crashed together and were torn off, the machines immediately dropping to earth about fifty feet apart. All three men were killed instantly. It was nobody's fault: simply fate, which robbed our country of three of its best pilots. Next to Sherwood, his passenger on their last flight, Cheney was by far the best American pilot there. He had an exceptionally fine "flying sense," and with it the best of aerial judgment, and was thoroughly at home in the air, being neither rash nor foolhardy. The service lost in him not only an excellent pilot, but a man with creative genius for aviation. He had submitted to the Aerial Board a set of designs and specifications for hangars for large aeroplanes that was most ingenious and solved many of the difficulties of this problem.

The funeral of the three young aviators took place in Foggia. In their honor the shops were closed, and the sixty or eighty thousand inhabitants drawn up along the sides of the streets in respectful silence. The caskets had been placed in the bright mortuary chapel of the hospital, before which a dense crowd of American and Italian soldiers had gathered. The General commanding the garrison, the Mayor, the Prefect and others represented the town, and huge wreaths lined the hall leading to the chapel, the silent tribute of love from provincial authorities and officers down to the steward of the mess. In the procession were, first, 300 American soldiers; the Italian representatives; and then the hearses bearing the caskets covered with American flags, and accompanied by a guard. Following these were the officers and dignitaries. Before the gate a little platform had been raised, and from this the last greetings to the dead were pronounced by the General of the Foggia garrison, the Italian Major commanding the Camp of Aviation, and the Mayor of the town. At the vault in the cemetery the church service was read, an Italian squad fired the three volleys, and an American bugler sounded taps. The United States War Department has lately sent word that the remains of all who fell in Italy have been removed to an American Government Cemetery in Genoa, and may be brought home within six months.

Cheney's life at St. Mark's not only maintained and strengthened the best traditions of the School, but added to them incalculably. His modesty, his buoyant temperament, his wholesome, manly sincerity and sympathetic heart won him a place very rarely attained in such a large community, and the grief at his loss was a deep and peculiarly personal one to every member of it. Selfishness was not in him. To all the manliness of a strong, straightforward nature was joined a simple, unconscious sweetness that guided and colored his least action. The letters of his brother officers in Italy at the time of his death are not necessary to those who knew him at St. Mark's; for as he was when among us, so he was, if such a thing is possible, in even greater measure at his country's need: brave, strong, loyal, loving and true.



SAILED for France Sept. 7, 1917, as Sergeant, 101st F.A. Went to the training camp at Coetquidan for four months. Received commission as 2nd Lieutenant, U.S. Cavalry, Nov. 20. Spent one month at the front with the 101st F.A. March 1, 1918, joined the Staff of the Chief of Artillery, 1st Army. June 1 joined the Staff of the Chief of Artillery, General Hq., A.E.F., as Aide-de-Camp to the Assistant Chief of Artillery. Dec. 12, joined the 301st F.A.; and Jan. 1, 1919, joined Hq. 167th F.A. Brigade. Sailed for home Feb. 5. Resignation accepted March 21, 1919, as 1st Lieutenant.



PRIVATE and Corporal, H Company, 7th Provisional Regiment, at Plattsburg, N.Y., during July and Aug., 1916; 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, R.C., Nov. 6; 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, R.C., Fort McPherson, Va., from May 6, 1917, to Aug. 15. Captain of Cavalry, Aug. 15; with Hq. Troop, 82nd Division, from Sept. 1 to May 23, 1918. With Hq. Troop (attached) 1st Army Corps, A.E.F., from June 1 to July 15. At the Saumur Artillery School from July 15 to Sept. 30; with the 320th F.A. in the Meuse-Argonne offensive, from Oct. 3 to 16; sick in hospital from Oct. 19 to Feb. 4, 1919; and honorably discharged Feb. 4, 1919.



ENLISTED in Hq. Troop, 76th Division, at Camp Devens, Mass., May 15, 1918, and left for France July 5. Sent to the Saumur Artillery School Oct. 1, and completed the Artillery Course Dec. 23. Sent as Casual to St. Nazaire, France, to rejoin the organization, which had left for the U.S. Attached to the St. Nazaire Casual Company No. 128. Arrived in the U.S. Jan. 22, 1919. Hoboken Casual Company No. 128 for Camp Devens, Mass. Honorably discharged at Camp Devens Feb. 1, 1919.



ENLISTED as a Private of the 2nd class, A.S., S.C., Sept. 26, 1917. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant in the same branch Dec. 5. Five months at Kelly Field, San Antonio, and eleven months at Carruthers Field, Fort Worth. Discharged Dec. 20, 1918.



ENLISTED 111 the 7th Infantry, N.Y.N.G., Apr. 18, 1917, and was transferred to the A.S. as Flying Cadet, Aug. 31. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Reserve Military Aviator, A.S., March 8, 1918. Attached to the 185th Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, while in the A.E.F. Discharged Apr. 18, 1919.



ENLISTED in the U.S. Army in Apr., 1917, and attended the Fort Myer, Va., R.O.T.C. from May to Aug. 15. Assigned as 2nd Lieutenant to the 314th Regiment, F.A., 80th Division, Aug. 27. Served at Camp Lee until May, 1918, being promoted to 1st Lieutenant in Feb. Sailed with the Division for France May 24. Promoted to Captain Sept. 17, and served as Regimental Adjutant throughout the Meuse-Argonne battles, from Sept. 26 to Nov. 11. Returned to America with the Regiment May 30, 1919, and received honorable discharge at Camp Lee, Va., June 7.



COMPLETED a three months' course at the Remount O.T.S., Camp J. E. Johnston, and received the commission of 1st Lieutenant in the Remount Service.



AT the First O.T.C., Fort Niagara, N.Y., in May, 1917. 2nd Lieutenant in the A.S., Kelly Field, San Antonio, Tex., until May, 1918. Detailed as Instructor at the S.M.A., Princeton, N.J., from May, 1918, to Nov., 1918.



ONE year's service with the A.R.C. in France, from Jan., 1918 to Jan., 1919. A.R.C. Representative at U.S. Base Hospital 17, Dijon, and later at A.R.C. Hq., Paris. Rank, Captain.



ENLISTED Dec. 1, 1917, in Chicago as an Enlisted Private, S.R.C. Ordered to Kelly Field, San Antonio, Tex., and reported for duty Dec. 8. Transferred to the S.M.A., Columbus, 0., Jan. 15, 1918. Graduated Feb. 26, and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the Aviation Section, S. R. C., March 1. Reported for first assignment March 8, at Scott Field, Belleville, Ill., and was made Assistant Post Supply Disbursing and Ordnance Officer. Transferred to the Armorers' School, Wilbur Wright Field, Fairfield, O., Apr. 13. Graduated as Liaison Armament Officer June 18. Ordered overseas. Remained at Camp Merritt from June 18 to July 26, equipping troops and awaiting transportation. Sailed on the Italian Steamer Taormina July 26, as second in command of the Postal Clerks' Detachment, consisting of 300 men. Landed at Brest Aug. 6, and went to Pontenezen Barracks. Then took half of the detachment to Tours, France. Relieved of command, and ordered to the Aerial Gunnery School, St. Jean-de-Mont, Vendée. Assistant Post Emergency Purchasing Supply Officer from Aug. 18 to Sept. 27. Ordered to the A.S. Hq., Paris, Sept. 26. Made Chief of the School, Spare Parts Subdivision of the Airplane and Motor Division. Handled and ordered all spares for airplanes and motors for U.S. schools in France, with a main office in Paris and an auxiliary one at St. Cyr Aviation Field and Supply Depot. Dec. 26, transferred to the Inventories Branch of the Valuation Division at A.S. Hq. In charge of setting value upon all spare parts of airplanes, motors, and airplanes and motors proper owned by the U.S. in France at all Fields, Depots, Schools and Squadrons. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant, A.S., U.S. Army, Feb. 21, 1919. Left Paris March 6 with orders for return to the U.S. Spent two weeks at St. Aignan. Proceeded to Brest, spent seven days there, and returned to the U.S. on S.S. America with the 26th Division as Casual Officer. Landed in Boston, Apr. 5, and was discharged at Mitchell Field, L.I., Apr. 10, 1919.



ENLISTED as a Private in the 3rd Oregon Infantry, N.G., Company G, in Portland, Oregon, Apr. 9, 1917. This regiment was made over into the 162nd Infantry, 41st Division, in Nov., 1917. Left New York on the transport Tuscania, Dec. 11, 1917, and landed in Liverpool Dec. 25. The regiment went to Le Havre, France, and was turned into a base division, and used as replacement troops and on detached duty. Companies F, G and H returned to England, and were stationed in Southampton and Liverpool until Apr. 20, 1919; then embarked for New York. Discharged at Camp Upton, New York, May 17, 1919.



ENLISTED as a Private in the Regular army, and was sent to San Francisco and then to Honolulu. Promoted to Corporal, and ordered to O.T.S. Graduated second in the Camp. Promoted to Sergeant of the 1st U.S. Infantry; sent to Atlanta, and then to Camp Pike, Ark., being given the commission of 2nd Lieutenant at the former. Sailed for France with replacement troops about Sept. 1, and was there stopped on an emergency and ordered to special service. [Report by Robert H. Coleman, dated Nov. 15, 1918.]



ENLISTED at Portland, Oregon, July 5, 1916, in Battery A, 1st Oregon F.A. Served on the Mexican border at Calexico, Cal., from Aug. 8 to Feb. 10, 1917. Discharged from the Federal service Feb. 22 at Vancouver Barracks, Wash., and made Corporal Apr. 27. Called out again July 25, 1917, and federalized Aug. 5 at Clackamao, Oregon. Sailed from Camp Merritt Jan. 11, 1918, and landed at Le Havre, France, Jan. 22 as Battery A, 147 F.A., 42nd Division. The Battery was a firing battery for the Saumur Artillery School from Jan. 28 to May 23. Made Sergeant May 1. Served in the Toul sector from June 5 to 22, supporting the 26th Division; and in the Alsace sector June 25 to July 24. Attached to the 32nd Division, and stayed with them until discharged. Served in the Aisne-Marne offensive, Aug. 1-9; was sick in the hospital from Aug. 9 to Sept. 30; and served in the Meuse-Argonne offensive Oct. 1 to Nov. 11. Dec. 23 to Apr. 14, 1919, stationed near Gondrecourt. Arrived at Brest Apr. 17, and sailed May 1, landing at Philadelphia May 13. Discharged at Camp Dix May 23, 1919.



ENTERED the U.S.N.R.F. in Apr., 1917, as a Quartermaster of the 3rd class. Made Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., in Oct. Sailed for Queenstown Feb. 15, 1918, and did duty on board U.S.S. Allen based at Queenstown until Dec., 1918. Made Lieutenant (j.g.) in Aug., 1918, and was discharged in Feb., 1919.



CANDIDATE at First Plattsburg O.R.T.C., and commissioned Captain, F.A., Aug. 15, 1917. Served with the 302nd F.A. until May, 1919. On the line between Verdun and St. Mihiel in Nov., 1918.



SERVED from May to Aug., 1917, in the Harvard R.O.T.C. as Private, 2nd Lieutenant and 1st Lieutenant. At the 2nd O.T.C., Fort Myer, Va., from Aug., to Nov., 1917, and was commissioned Captain of Infantry Nov. 27. Assigned to the Depot Brigade, Camp Lee, Va., from Dec., 1917, to March, 1918; and to the 1st Infantry Replacement Camp, Camp Gordon, Ga., from March to Aug. Commissioned Major of Infantry Aug. 19, 1918. Assigned to the Army General Staff College at Langres, France, from Aug. to Oct., 1918. Assigned commanding the 2nd Battalion, 102nd Infantry, 26th Division, in Oct., at Verdun, and served at Verdun until the armistice and afterwards with the 26th Division in training areas until the Division returned. Commanded the 26th Division, selected troops, at the 1st Army Review to President Wilson, at Humes, Christmas, 1918. Returned to the U.S. with the 26th Division in March, 1919, and was honorably discharged as Major, 102nd Infantry, May 24, 1919.



CALLED to active service Aug. 11, 1917, as a member of the Med. R.C., with the rank of Captain. Assigned to the Walter Reed General Hospital, Tacoma Park, D.C., from Aug. 11 to Nov. 20, as Assistant to the Adjutant and Acting Adjutant. At U.S. Army Base Hospital 33, Albany, N. Y., from Nov. 20 to May 25, 1918, with duties as Adjutant; Camp Hospital 36, Southampton, England, from May 25 to Aug. 2 as Camp Surgeon and Commanding Officer of the Hospital; U.S. Army Base Hospital 33, Portsmouth, England, from Aug. 2 to Feb. 4, 1919, as Commanding Officer. From Feb. 4 to Aug. 22, 1919, served with the A.E.F. in North Russia, as Chief Surgeon. On the way home from North Russia to the U.S., from Aug. 22 to Oct. 15, served on the staff of Brigadier-General W. P. Richardson, U.S.A. Demobilized Oct. 24, 1919. Promotions were as follows: Major, Oct. 1, 1918; Lieutenant-Colonel, Nov. 15, 1918. Made a member of the Order of St. Stanislas, 2nd Class, with Swords (Russia). The citation follows.

"As Chief Surgeon of this expedition, this officer has displayed conspicuous ability as an executive and was unremitting in his efforts to maintain the efficiency of the medical forces of the command. Keeping constantly in touch with the small and widely scattered medical units, he spared no efforts to see that every possible aid and comfort were given to the sick and wounded. He has displayed unusual tact in dealing with our Allies as well as with our own forces and has gained for himself the respect and good will of all with whom he came in contact. By his initiative, administrative ability and constant application he has filled a position of great responsibility in such a manner as to merit the highest commendation."



ENLISTED in the Yale Naval Training Unit in Oct., 1918, and served as Apprentice Seaman. Released Dec. 20, 1918.



ENLISTED Apr. 28, 1917. Candidate at the 1st O.T.C. at Plattsburg Barracks, N.Y., from May 12 to Aug. 15. Commissioned Captain of Infantry Aug. 15, and assigned to the 76th Division, Camp Devens, Mass. In command of Company D, 304th Infantry, at Camp Devens, from Aug. 29, 1917, to July 7, 1918. Sailed for overseas July 8, and arrived at Châteauneuf, France, July 24. In command of Company D, 304th Infantry, 3rd Depot Division, from July 24 to Nov. 9, 1918. Transferred to the 41st Division, and attached to Company B, 163rd Infantry. Jan. 1, 1919, assigned to the command of Company B, 163rd Infantry. Sailed for the U.S. Feb. 1, 1919, and arrived Feb. 14. Honorably discharged at Camp Dix, N.J., Feb. 19, 1919, as Captain of Infantry.



ENTERED service as a Private in the Harvard S.A.T.C., Oct. 3, 1918, and was transferred Oct. 13 to the C.O.T.S., 30th Company, 6th Battalion, at Camp Lee, Va. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, R.C., Jan. 15, 1919, and discharged on the same date.



WITH the A.A.F.S. in Lorraine and Verdun from March 4, 1916, to Sept. 4. At the Plattsburg Training Camp from May 15, 1917, to Aug. 15. Received commission of 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, and sailed for France Sept. 8. Attended the British Bayonet and Physical Training School at St. Pol, France, until Nov. 1. Attached to the 16th Infantry, 1st Division, at Gondrecourt, France, for further training. Sent to the 42nd Division Dec. 4, and assigned to Company K, 165th Infantry. Gassed March 21, 1918, in the Forêt de Parroy, Lorraine, and sent to Base Hospital 31 at Contrexéville. Assigned to Class B, and given duty at Is-sur-Tille. Sailed for home Feb. 4, 1919. Discharged at Camp Upton March 2, 1919.



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F. in Apr., 1917, as an Able Seaman, and was stationed at Newport, R.I. Raised to 3rd Quartermaster in June, and transferred to New London, Conn. Raised to 2nd Quartermaster in Nov. Raised to 1st Quartermaster in Jan., 1918, and put in command of a patrol boat. Received the commission of Ensign in June, and was sent to Block Island and attached to the Communication Department for a few weeks. Ordered to the Communication Department, Brest, France, in July. Ordered to Rotterdam, Holland, in Jan., 1919, in the company of four other officers, having Commander Bagley for the head, to establish a U.S. Port Office; and was put in charge of organizing the Communication Department. Returned to the U.S. in Apr., 1919, and retired to inactive service. [Report by Mrs. Emmons Crocker.]



ENLISTED Oct. 1, 1918, in the U.S. Marine Corps Aviation Unit, at Cambridge, Mass., with the rank of Private (Station rating of Line Sergeant). Honorably discharged at Cambridge, Dec. 16, 1918.



BRANCH of service, A.S.A. Stationed at U.S. A.S.M.A., Ithaca, N.Y. Rank, Private of the 1st Class. Inducted Nov. 3, 1918, and discharged Nov. 25, 1918.



FROM June to Dec., 1917, Head Military Department, U.S.S.M.A. as Civilian Instructor. From Dec., 1917, to Apr., 1918, Private in the 78th Division, 3rd O.T.S. From Apr. to June, Sergeant in the 308th M.G. Battalion at Camp Dix. From June to Sept., 2nd Lieutenant Instructor in the M.G. School, Camp Hancock, Ga. From Sept., 1918, to Feb., 1919, 1st Lieutenant in Company B, 33rd M.G. Battalion, Camp Meade, Md. Discharged at Camp Meade, Md., in Feb., 1919.



JOINED the A.F.S., July 20, 1917, and did duty with Sections 71 and 29. Enlisted in the U.S. A.A.S. Sept. 20. Demobilized at Camp Dix Apr. 5, 1919, with rank of Private of the 1st class. Awarded the Croix de Guerre and the A.F.S. Medal. Was a member of the (U.S. Army) S.S.U. 641, which received a citation for its work in Aug., 1918. Took part in the following battles: Somme, Verdun, Argonne, St. Mihiel, Soissons, Laon. The citations follow.


Sir: In accordance with the accompanying letter numbered (c4/7) given under date of January 3rd, 1919, by the Ministry of War of the French Republic, we have the honor of presenting to you


This decoration is conferred upon you in appreciation of your record as a volunteer member of the


the personnel of which has been privileged to serve the Armies of France in every campaign of the war, from the Battle of the Marne until the Allied victory.

In congratulating you upon this tribute, it is the desire of our American and Foreign staffs, and of the Committees and Universities in the United States which have confidently supported the Field Service for four years to offer grateful acknowledgment of our debt to you. Only by such effort and sacrifice as you have personally given could the purpose and credit of our achievement have been accomplished.

Directing A.F.S. Headquarters.

Le Général Gassouin cite à l'ordre de la Division Section Sanitaire Américaine 641.

"Dédaignant le danger, sans souci de la fatigue, a poursuivi sans arrêt, trois jours durant 23, 24, 25 août, 1918, l'évacuation des blessés à travers des zones violemment bombardées. A été superbe d'entrain, de dévouement, de volonté tenace."

[To H. G. Crosby.]

"Le Général Gassouin, Commandant la 17ème Division d'Infanterie --- cite à l'ordre du régiment le soldat Henri G. Crosby, à la S.S.U. 641.

"Engagé volontaire, s'est toujours montré plein d'élan et de courage et a assuré l'évacuation des blessés de la division d'infanterie avec un sang-froid et un dévouement admirable-d'août à novembre 1918 dans des circonstances difficiles et souvent périlleuses."



WENT to the Mexican border with Squadron A, and while there joined the 69th Regiment as Lieutenant. Recommended on return to N.Y. to the 77th Regiment, with the grade of Captain, Ammunition Trains. Went overseas, and was made second in command, with the rank of Major, in Supply Trains at Brest. [Report by Mrs. J. F. Tams.]



COMMISSIONED 1st Lieutenant, Ordnance Section, U.S.R., May 5, 1917. In charge of Purchasing Bureau, Small Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers, at New York, June 5. Commissioned Captain, U.S.R., Aug. 11, and assigned to the Finance Section, Ordnance Department, Jan. 2, 1918. Ordered to the Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., March 4, in charge of Purchasing and Property, commanding 3rd Bat. Recommended for promotion Sept. 10, and passed the Board of Promotion in Oct., but no action was taken because of the armistice, Nov. 11. Honorably discharged Jan. 6, 1919.



ENTERED the F.A. Aug. 15, 1917, as 2nd Lieutenant of Cavalry. Made Captain, Nov. 4, 1918. At Camp Meade, Md., from Aug. 5 to Dec. 14, 1918, when discharged.



SEPT. 19, 1917, entered the Supply Company, 304th Infantry, 76th Division, at Camp Devens, Mass., as a Private. Nov. 1, made Ordnance Sergeant of the 1st Class. May 24, 1918, transferred to the 44th Company, 155th Depot Brigade, Camp Lee, Va. June 1, made 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry. Sept. 19, transferred to the 97th Division at Camp Cody, N.M., and assigned to Company B, 387th Infantry. Discharged Nov. 30, 1918, as 2nd Lieutenant, 387th Infantry.



JOINED the Yale Unit, F.A., in Sept., 1917; was sent to Camp Jackson, Columbia, S.C., in Aug., 1918, and afterwards to Camp Zachary Taylor, Louisville, Ky., in Sept. Received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant Sept. 13, and was preparing to sail for France when the armistice was declared. [Report by E. F. Darrell.]



ENLISTED May 5, 1917, in the U.S.N.R.F., at Newport, R.I. Commissioned Ensign May 7, 1918, and assigned to duty at the Hq. of the Third Naval District, New York City. Transferred to sea duty on the troop transport U.S.S. Matsonia, running between New York and France, Sept. 12. Returned to Hq., 3rd Naval District, Jan. 10, 1919, and was released from active duty May 25, 1919.



ENTERED the 1st O.T.C. at Plattsburg, N.Y., May 12, 1917. Honorably discharged from Company K, 7th N.Y. Infantry, N.G., U.S., June 12, and from the 1st O.T.C., at Plattsburg, Aug. 14. Commissioned Captain, Infantry Section, O.R.C., Aug. 15. Reported to the Commanding General, Camp Upton, New York, Sept. 2, and was assigned to the 307th Infantry, N.A., and to the command of Company F, Sept. 3. Sailed from New York on H.M.S.S. Justitia, Apr. 6, 1918; arrived at Liverpool Apr. 19, and at Calais Apr. 20. Trained with the British at Tournehem, Pas de Calais, from Apr. 22 to May 13. Brigaded with the British Manchester Brigade in Division Reserve at Henu, Pas de Calais, May 15 to June 5. Served in the Baccarat sector, Meurthe et Moselle, from June 18 to Aug. 5; in the Vesle sector, Aisne, from Aug. 11 to 18; and in the Oise-Aisne offensive (Vesle to Aisne Rivers), Aug. 18 to Sept. 8. Commanded Company F continuously up to Sept. 8, except for Aug. 27 to 29, when in command of the 2nd Battalion, 307th Infantry, in the attack on Château du Diable on the Vesle River between Fismes and Bazoches; and Sept. 4, when in command of the Battalion in Fismes. Evacuated to the hospital Sept. 9, and discharged from it Oct. 2. Commanded the 3rd Company in the 1st Army Advance Replacement Depot, from Oct. 5 to Nov. 17. Reassigned to the 77th Division Nov. 17; to the 307th Infantry Nov. 18; and to Company F Nov. 23. Sailed from Brest on U.S.S.S. Louisville Apr. 21, and arrived at Hoboken, N.J., Apr. 30. Honorably discharged at Camp Upton, N.Y., May 10, as Captain) 307th Infantry. Presiding Officer, Special Courts Martial and Summary Court Officer, 307th Infantry, from Dec. 10, 1918, to May 10, 1919. Cited for exceptional bravery as follows:

"Captain Dudley Davis, 307th Infantry, at Château du Diable, near Fismes, France, on the morning of August 27th, 1918, suddenly found himself in command of the 2nd Battalion of the 307th Infantry during the attack on Château du Diable. Showing an utter disregard for his personal safety, he proceeded to the forward companies to get first-hand information as to the circumstances in order to intelligently handle the situation. In order to accomplish this, it was necessary for him to go through an intense artillery and machine-gun barrage. He then established for himself a P. C., and proceeded to carry on the attack with coolness and care, skilfully organizing the Battalion after the attack."



ENTERED the 2nd O.T.C., Plattsburg, N.Y., Aug. 22. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant Nov. 27, 1917; assigned to the 304th Infantry, 76th Division. Sailed July 6, 1918. Served after the armistice in the Embarkation Camp, St. Nazaire, and as Instructor at A.E.F. University, Beaune, France. Discharged Aug. 12, 1919.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of F.A. Aug. 15, 1917, at Plattsburg, N.Y., after three months' training. Assigned to the 303rd F.A. at Camp Devens, Mass., Sept. 1, and continued with it until May 1, 1918. May 15, assigned to the 114th F.A., and served with it until Aug. 11. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant, F.A., July 30. Overseas from June to August, 1918. From Sept. to Dec., assigned to the 65th F.A., Camp Kearney, Cal. Discharged Dec. 17, 1918.



CHARLES DERHAM, JR., the son of Charles and Emily Foster deRham, was born in New York City on the twenty-seventh of April, 1888. He entered St. Mark's in the Second Form in 1901, and graduated in 1906. He was prominent in athletics as a member of the football team, and was also a monitor. After graduating from Harvard in 1912, he went into business, and at the time of his death was Secretary of the Atlas Advertising Agency. His three brothers graduated from St. Mark's one of whom, Girard, the next younger than Charles, died at the School during his Freshman year at Harvard.


He went to the training camp at Plattsburg in the summer of 1916, and again in 1917 after his enlistment, where, on the fifteenth of August, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant of Infantry. He then went at once to Camp Upton, and was promoted to First Lieutenant in December. In this capacity he sailed for France about the middle of April, 1918, with the Seventy-seventh Division, Company B, just after his marriage to Miss Jean King. After training at various places in France he was sent to Baccarat, and remained there until his division crossed the Vesle River. He was Acting Captain in C Company for many weeks, and the only officer in the Company. Major Metcalfe, of his Regiment, asked for his promotion to a captaincy at this time, but "in the rush of events the commission was side-tracked." DeRham swam the Vesle River twice at night in an attempt to find a fording-place for his men of Company C. He later swam it again with his men, and took possession of the village of Bazoche. He was Acting Captain of Company C in the advance through the Argonne forest, and on September the twenty-eighth he was wounded and taken back to Mobile Hospital No. 4, at La Grange aux Bois, where he died on the ninth of October, 1918. He was cited for bravery in crossing the Vesle by General Robert Alexander, and again for five attacks upon machinegun nests in the Argonne forest.* Major Metcalfe also testifies that besides being extremely brave and an excellent officer, deRham was the most indefatigable worker he ever knew. The citation is as follows:

"First Lieutenant Charles deRham, 305th Infantry (deceased), under great difficulties led the first patrol of his Brigade to cross the Vesle River and gain the heights beyond. This he did immediately upon returning from another patrol on which he was compelled twice to swim the river during the night, near Barricade Pavillion. This officer led his company in five successive attacks against machine-gun nests. On the last of these attacks he was killed."

That deRham should have met as he did the supreme test of loyalty and devotion when his opportunity came, is but a result of strength and purity of purpose, and only those who are conscious of these in themselves can take life with the deep, natural joy that they called forth in him. But thus even the brave soldier of the Vesle and the terrible Argonne forest is less to his friends, if such a thing can be, than the laughing, intensely normal boy who was so much to the life of the School in his day, and whom everybody loved for what he was. Everything had zest for him; good-natured, golden-hearted, full of life, he never failed to find out the amusing possibilities of a large community, though he kept them sanely apart from the real duties, and was never found wanting in his work or responsibilities. There is something characteristic and true to temperament in "twice swimming the Vesle at night," and "five attacks upon machine-gun nests," as though the old-time boyishness were again blazing up at the call of risky adventure. The challenge to skill and persistence combined with the sober devotion to his men and to his duty; and he came to honor as to a natural inheritance, because he was generous, genuine and true. The gay, loving heart has ceased to beat; but the memory of him will cling about the School as long as any live who knew him there, and his honor is a treasure that will never pass away from St. Mark's.

* The Distinguished Service Cross was awarded to deRham in March, 1920.



ENLISTED in Troop A, first Ohio Cavalry, Jan. 2, 1909, and was made Private; Corporal; and Sergeant. Commissioned Lieutenant of Cavalry, Ohio N.G., in March, 1913, and assigned to Troop A, Ohio Cavalry. Mustered into the Federal service June 18, 1916. Transferred to the 8th U.S. Cavalry in Sept., 1916; Aide-de-Camp to Major George Bell, Jr., from Jan. 8 to Feb. 16, 1917. Mustered out of the Federal service in Feb., 1917. Commissioned Captain of Cavalry in May; and Major in the F.A. in July. Drafted into the Federal service Aug. 5, and assigned to the 136th F.A. Transferred in Feb., 1918, to the 302nd Cavalry, N.A., and commissioned Major (Cavalry) N.A. Cavalry transferred and assigned to the F.A.; assigned to the 64th F.A. Discharged Jan. 4, 1919, at Fort Sill, Okla. Had the following stations after June, 1916: Camp Willis, O.; Camp Owen Bierney, Tex.; Ysleta, Tex.; Fort Bliss, Tex.; Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind.; Youngstown, O.; Cincinnati, O.; Camp Sheridan, Ala.; Camp Kearney, Cal.; Camp Fremont, Cal.; Camp Harry J. Jones, Ariz.; and Fort Sill, Okla.



FROM Oct. 1 to Dec. 16, 1918, with the U.S.N.R.F., Williams College, Williamstown, Mass., with the rank of Seaman of the 2nd class.



ENLISTED at Boston as a Private of the 1st class, Sept. 7, 1917, in the S.R.C., Aviation Section. Sept. 17, entered the Ground O.T.S. at Kelly Field, Tex. Graduated with the first class, Nov. 7. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant, Dec. 13, and called to active duty Dec. 20. Stationed at the Aviation General Supply Depot, San Antonio, Tex., being Commanding Officer of the 675th Aero Squadron for six months. Later held the positions of Adjutant and Personnel Adjutant at the same post. Discharged from this station Jan. 8, 1919, as 1st Lieutenant, A.S., U.S. Army.



FROM July 1, 1917, to Jan. 1, 1918, Assistant Director, U.S. Food Administration. Went to the U.S.S.M.A. Jan. 16, and graduated March 24. Received commission as 2nd Lieutenant, U.S.A.S. Served as Supply Officer and Adjutant at Hazelhurst Field, Mineola, L.I., and as Adjutant at the Supply Depot, Middletown. Discharged Dec. 14, 1918.



ENLISTED as a Private in the U.S. Marine Corps Feb. 14, 1918. Sailed for France Apr. 23, with the 3rd Replacement Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps, and landed May 7. Transferred to the 2nd Replacement Battalion until June 7; then joined the 80th Company, 6th Regiment, U.S. Marines. Went through the battle of Belleau Wood, and was wounded at Vierzy, in the Soissons drive, July 19. Remained in the Red Cross Military Hospital No. 2 until Nov. 20. Sailed for home Dec. 25, and was put on inactive duty Feb. 11, 1919.



SERVED in the British Army from Sept. 14, 1914, to Apr. 23, 1919. [Signed "Lt.-Col. J. B. Dodge, D.S.O., D.S.C., per L. G. Guest."] From an undated previous report: "Address, commanding the 16th (Sussex yeo.) Bat., Royal Sussex Reg't, B.E.F., France. Rank, Lieutenant-Colonel. Post, Commanding Officer, Infantry Battalion. Decorations or citations, Distinguished Service Cross; Mons Star; mentioned in dispatches twice."



CAPTAIN, commanding Company H, 305th Infantry, 77th Division, from its formation. Transferred Nov. 15 to Company A, commanding. Promoted to Major commanding 1st Battalion in March, 1919. In action at the following places: Lorraine, Vesle, Aisne, Argonne (first and second phases). Commanding Company H in the capture of St. Juvin. Served in the 305th Infantry from its formation until its muster-out at Camp Upton May 9, 1919. Received the following citation:

"Displayed exceptional gallantry and leadership on October 14th near St. Juvin. Major Dodge, then Captain, commanding leading company of his battalion, crossed the Aisne River under shell fire in daylight, moved rapidly over a broad exposed terrain, flanked and entered St. Juvin taking many prisoners and large stores, moved north of the town and reached his objective. The next morning he repelled a counterattack, took prisoners, and sent to flight the attacking forces."

[Report by Mrs. Stephen Olin.]



"VOLUNTARY CHAPLAIN," or "Camp Pastor," at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., from Jan. 1 to June 21, 1918; and Post Chaplain, with rank of 1st Lieutenant, at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., from June 21 until mustered out Apr. 30, 1919.



ENTERED the A.R.C., foreign service, as a Private; served eighteen months, and was discharged as Major.



ENLISTED in Sept., 1914, in the M.G. Corps, England, and in Dec. joined the Royal Field Artillery commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant. In Feb., 1915, served at Neuve Chapelle, Richebourg, and the Somme. 1st Lieutenant in Feb., 1916, at Salonica. In Apr., 1917, served in Belgium at Messines and Ypres, being wounded at the latter place. Made 1st Lieutenant, F.A.U.S.R., in Oct., 1917. Became an Instructor at Plattsburg, being made Captain; Adjutant in the 311th F.A.; Instructor at Fort Sill; Instructor, F.A., C.O.T.S. in May; and was discharged in Dec., 1918.



ENTERED the Cornell University Ground School of Aviation Feb. 9, 1918, as a Private of the 1st class. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, A.S., July 31. Served in France from Sept. 3 to March 31, 1919. Attached to the 186th Aero Squadron. Discharged Apr. 14, 1919.



FROM May 12 to Aug. 15, 1917, Candidate at the 1st Plattsburg Training Camp, and commissioned Captain of Infantry on the latter date. Commanded Company K, 302nd Infantry, from Aug. 29, 1917, to Sept. 30, 1918, and sailed for France July 4, 1918. At the Army School of the Line, Langres, from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31. Commanded Company F, 138th Infantry, from Jan. to May 1, 1919. Returned to the U.S. Apr. 26, and did recruiting duty from May to Aug. 1 in New York City. Discharged at Governor's Island July 30, 1919.



JOINED the San Francisco Cavalry Troop in Apr., 1917. Entered the first O.T.C. of San Francisco in May, and was honorably discharged in July. Permitted by General Crowder to waive the Draft Board "rejection," and proceed overseas for volunteer duty in Aug. Sailed with a detachment of the A.F.S. in Sept. Rejected on the Army physical examination, A.F.S., Hq., Paris, in Oct. Worked six weeks as a civilian employee, Aviation Hq., Paris, and was recommended in the first ten days for a commission as 2nd Lieutenant, Ground Aviation, S.C. Again rejected upon physical examination, in Dec. Succeeded, through the efforts of Colonel Leroy-Lewis, Military Attaché, British Embassy, Paris, in having passport viséd for England, in Dec. Admitted to the O.T.C., Henley-on-Thames, as Provisional Junior Subaltern, in Jan., 1918. 'Posted" (confirmed in commission of 2nd Lieutenant) to No. 5 Balloon Stores Depot, Chelsea, in Feb. Confined to the 2nd London General Hospital in March, 1918, and invalided by the Medical Board out of us Majesty's service in Apr. In May, name appeared in the Gazette as resigning commission owing to a previous letter to the War Office requesting a transfer to the U.S. Army Remount Service, Q.M.C. Underwent an operation at the Lane Hospital, San Francisco, in June, 1918. Again rejected upon physical examination for admission to the Remount School, in Sept. Classified as "Special and Limited Military Service, Assistant Veterinary Surgeon," on the last draft board examination, in Oct., 1918.



VOLUNTEERED at the Office of Naval Intelligence, Washington, D.C., July 1, 1917; made Lieutenant (j.g.), U.S.N.R.F. Oct. 1, 1917; Lieutenant, U.S.N.R.F., June 15, 1918; and was released to inactive duty Dec. 15, 1918.



IN the summer of 1918 attended the R.O.T.C. at Cambridge and Lancaster, Mass. In Oct. enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and was assigned to the Marine Unit at Harvard, remaining there until Dec. 16, when honorably discharged.



ENTERED the 1st O.T.C. at Plattsburg May 13, 1917. Transferred to the Engineer O.T.C. at American University, Washington, June 15. Commissioned Captain, Engineer R.C., Aug. 15. Assigned to the 23rd Engineers, Camp Meade, Sept. 5. Made Acting Regimental Supply Officer, and held this position until the 1st Battalion was ordered abroad; then made Battalion Supply Officer, 1st Battalion, 23rd Engineers, and sailed for France on the Huron, Jan. 23, 1918. Arrived at Brest, France, Feb. 5. Sent to St. Nazaire and remained there about two weeks; then ordered to move. Feb. 28 arrived at the front in the first American sector north of Toul; and encamped in the Forêt de la Reine near Boucq. The Battalion remained in this sector building highways until Aug. 1, 1918. Left the Battalion and entered the Army Line School at Langres, Aug. 1. After graduating, was sent to the Army General Staff College. Graduated Jan. 1, 1919. Transferred about Feb. 1 to the 102nd Engineers, and again made Supply Officer. Joined this regiment at Lombron, Le Mans area. Sailed for home from Le Havre on the steamer Rochambeau, Feb. 20, and arrived in New York Feb. 28. Remained with the Regiment at Camp Mills for the parade of the 27th Division, March 25. Discharged from the army with rank of Captain, Apr. 5, 1919.



ENTERED the 2nd O.T.C., Fort Sheridan, Ill., in Aug., 1917; commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry Nov. 27, and assigned to the 80th Division, Camp Lee, Va. Reported Dec. 15, and was assigned to the 315th M.G. Battalion. Appointed Adjutant Jan. 1, 1918. Assigned to the M.G. School, Camp Hancock, Ga., May 1. Transferred as Aide-de-Camp to General James A. Ryan, 1st Brigade, 15th Cavalry Division, Fort Sam Houston, Tex., June 10. Accompanied General Ryan when he took command of the 17th Infantry Brigade, 9th Division, Camp Sheridan, Ala., Oct. 1. Received discharge from that camp Dec. 9, 1918.



LIEUTENANT in the U..S.N. when war was declared From March 15, 1917, to June 8, in command of the Armed Guard, S.S. Minnesota, Atlantic Transport Line, and made the passage from New York to Southampton, England, and return. From June 8 to July 7, on temporary duty at the Bureau of Navigation, Navy Department, Washington. From July 7 to Nov 24, attached to U.S.S. Maine as Gunnery Officer. From Nov. 24 to Jan. 18, 1918, on temporary duty at the Bureau of Navigation. Engaged in organizing a "School for Officers of Merchant Marine in Anti-submarine Defence." From Jan. 18, 1918, to Apr. 1 in charge of the School for Officers of Merchant Marine in Anti-submarine Defence, at the U.S. Submarine Base, New London, Conn. Made Lieutenant-Commander, U.S.N., Feb. 1, 1918. From Apr. 1 to Dec. 16, attached to U.S.S. Canonicus as Executive Officer. The Canonicus was a mine-layer, and was attached to the first mine-laying squadron, United States Fleet, which comprised the 2nd mine-laying squadron of the British Grand Fleet. She assisted in laying the North Sea barrage between May 26 and Oct. 28, 1918. From Dec. 16, 1918, to the date of this report [Nov. 25, 1919] attached to U.S.S. Bridgeport as Executive and Repair Officer. The Bridgeport was stationed at Brest, France, until Oct. 15, 1919, and provided the necessary repair organization for transports engaged in returning our troops from Europe to the U.S. The Navy Department has, to date, not acted upon any recommendations for decorations for officers of the Navy.



FROM June, 1917, to Nov., served with the Norton-Harjes Volunteer Ambulance Corps, S.S.U. 59; and from Nov. to Feb., 1918, Civilian Employee, Aviation Hq., Paris. In March, 1918, enlisted in the French Foreign Legion, and was assigned to the 32nd R.A.C. at the Ecole Militaire d'Artillerie, Fontainebleau. Graduated in July, 1918, with the rank of Aspirant. Assigned to the 23rd Battery, 1st Group, 222nd Regiment, Artillerie de Campagne. Cited "à l'ordre de l'Artillerie Divisionnaire de la 167me Division." Oct. 16, 1918, received the Croix de Guerre. The 222nd Regiment received two citations "à l'ordre de l'Armée," July and Oct., 1918, Fourragère, Croix de Guerre; and the 1st Group, 222nd R.A.C., a citation "à l'ordre du Régiment" in Nov. Promoted to Sous-Lieutenant in March, 1919. Demobilized in May. Took part in the following operations: defensive, the Lorraine sector, Aug.-Oct., 1917 (Baccarat) and the Champagne sector, Aug.-Sept., 1918 (Suippes) ; offensive, Malmaison, Oct.-Nov., 1917 (Soissons); Champagne, Sept.-Oct., 1918; Hindenburg Line, Vouziers, Attigny; and Oise-Aisne, Oct.-Nov., 1918, Loos, Hindungstellung Line, Rethel, Château-Porcien, Chaumont-Porcien. The citation for Oct. 16 follows:

"Emmet, Watson, Aspirant, 222 R.A.C., aspirant américain, servant à titre de Français, remarquable par son calme et son mépris du danger; a été un auxiliaire précieux pour son commandant de Batterie, pendant les offensives de Champagne de septembre-octobre 1918."



ENLISTED in the British Cavalry, and was attached to the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Scots Greys) in 1914. Later transferred to the 253rd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers. Honorably discharged in No. 4 London General Hospital in June, 1916. Took part in the following battles: second battle of Ypres; Hooge ; Loos; Vermelles. Received wounds by gas, bayonet-thrust, rifle-ball and shell fragment, and by the blowing up of a countermine. Entered the 1st O.T.C., Camp Oglethorpe, Ga. Served one year at Camp Jackson, S.C.; 2nd Lieutenant, Remount Station. Joined the 321st Infantry, 81st Division, as 1st Lieutenant in Sept., in the Vosges mountains, France. From Oct. to Nov. 11 was in action with the 321st Infantry before Verdun. Discharged in July, 1919. Received the following decorations: Star of 1914; British War Medal; British Silver Medal; British Victory Medal; and the United States 'Victory Medal (two stars).



ENLISTED in the U.S. Navy in July, 1917, as a Seaman of the 2nd class, and did coast patrol duty between the Charlestown Navy Yard and the Maine boundary. About Sept., 1917, entered the Cadet Training School at Cambridge, Mass. Graduated in Feb., 1918, with the rank of Ensign. Ordered to Mare Island Navy Yard, San Francisco, for duty on the destroyer Boggs, then building. The Boggs was not completed in time to go into active service before the armistice, although she made one or two trial trips. Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant (j.g.). Left active service in February, 1919. [Report by Spencer Ervin.]



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry in the Regular Army in March, 1917. Entered the Provisional O.T.S., Fort Leavenworth, in Apr., 1917, and graduated in June, "recommended for immediate command of a company." Commissioned 1st Lieutenant in July, and joined the 21st Infantry at San Diego, Cal. Engaged in Intelligence work in the Southern California Border District. Promoted to Captain in Aug. Transferred to the A.S. in Apr., 1918, and graduated from the S.M.A., Austin, Tex., in June. Qualified as Pursuit Pilot at Rockwell Field, San Diego, in Aug. Ordered overseas in command of a day bombing squadron in Oct., but was prevented from starting by a serious accident. The orders were repeated Nov. 9, but the signing of the armistice, Nov. 11, 1918, prevented starting. Now [about Nov. 1, 1919] in command of the 2nd Aero Squadron under orders to proceed to Corregidor, Philippine Islands. [Report by Mrs. R. G. Ervin.]



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F. June 24, 1918, as a Seaman of the 2nd class, and was commissioned Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Sept. 30. Released from active service Feb. 4, 1919.



ENLISTED in July, 1917, as Volunteer Ambulance Driver in the A.A.F.S., S.S.U. 71. Discharged in Nov., 1917.



FROM May to Oct., 1915, served with the American Ambulance in France, mostly at Nieuport and Woesten, Belgium, with Section 1 of the Field Service. In Aug., 1917, went to Plattsburg; and received a commission as 1st Lieutenant in the F.A., Nov. 27. Went to Camp Devens and was assigned to Battery A, 302nd F.A. Went to Fort Sill Feb. 27, 1918, to train as an aerial observer, and was thereafter attached to the A.S. Sailed in July, and after one month at Tours joined the 91st Aero Squadron, 1st Army Observation Group, which was engaged in long distance deep reconnoissance back of the German lines. Officially credited with the destruction of two German planes in the Argonne-Meuse offensive. After the armistice the squadron went to Coblentz as part of the Army of Occupation, and remained there until Apr. 16, 1919. Discharged at Camp Mills May 15, 1919. The following is a citation for exceptional bravery:

"Lieut. Fay on October 23rd, 1918, during a flight over the lines, while acting as protection for a photographic mission, gave proof of his bravery and devotion to duty. When attacked by more than thirty enemy planes, his pilot, Lieut. Houghton, was severely wounded, and it was largely owing to Lieut. Fay's coolness, courage and directions that the plane completed its mission. His thoroughness and willingness have made him a most valuable observer. Lieut. Fay has officially been credited with the destruction of two enemy planes."

Also cited in General Orders 21, Hq. A.S., 1st Army, A.E.F.



ENTERED the service of the A.R.C. Sept. 17, 1918, and sailed for France Sept. 19. Assigned by the A.R.C. as Searcher and Home Communication Representative of the A.R.C. with the 1st Division of the U.S. Army, with rank of 2nd Lieutenant. In March, 1919, was also made Divisional Representative of the A.R.C. with the 1st Division, and promoted to the rank of Captain. With the 1st Division in France, and then in Germany, until May 20. Then left for Paris, arrived in the U.S. June 22, and received discharge from the A.R.C.



ATTENDED the Harvard R.O.T.C. and the Plattsburg R.O.T.C. Assigned to Camp Lee, but prevented from going by illness.



ARRIVED in Paris July 17, 1917. Despatched to the front with S.S.U. 71 Aug. 1. Enlisted Sept. 15 in the U.S.A.A.S. Wounded Aug. 25, 1918. Discharged March 11, 1919, at St. Aignan. Received the following citation for the Croix de Guerre, ordre du Corps d'Armée:

"Conducteur très brave et très courageux. Chargé de transporter des blessés à travers une zone violemment bombardée a été blessé en accomplissant sa mission. A voulu continuer à conduire lui-même sa voiture après s'être fait panser sommairement."



MADE Captain of the 15th N.Y. Infantry (colored) Jan. 15, 1917. Arrived at Brest, France, Jan. 31. Joined the French 4th Army as a combat unit, entering its lines Apr. 8, 1918. Took part against the German offensive July 15, and the final offensive in Sept. Received a citation Sept. 30 at the capture of the village of Sechoult. Graduated from the Army General Staff College at Langres, France. Served with the Army of Occupation, 4th Division. Returned with the 77th Division in Apr., 1919. Received a commission as Major of Infantry in March, 1919. The citation follows.

"Captain Hamilton Fish, Jr., Commander of Company K of the 369th Infantry Regiment, being on furlough, came back to spend his furlough with the Regiment, knowing it had been engaged. Has rendered precious services --- exposed incessantly to danger ---before, during, and after the taking of a village, and in establishing contact between the Regiment and his battalion."



ENLISTED at Newport, R.I., in the U.S.N.R.F. as a Quartermaster of the 2nd class, March 26, 1917. Promoted to Quartermaster of the 1st class Sept. 1. Put in command of S.P. 56. Commissioned as Ensign Jan. 1, and attached to U.S. Torpedo Boat Morris as Navigator, Jan. 15, 1918. Detached Apr. 1, put in command of S.P. 2840, and sent to Nantucket for special duty. Detached Oct. 1, and reported for duty on U.S.S. New Mexico. Discharged from active service Dec. 13, 1918.



COMMISSIONED Major in the Med. R.C. in May, 1917, and went on active duty June 11 at Allentown, Pa. Sailed overseas July 2 as Chief of Medical Service of Base Hospital 1.5, organized at Roosevelt Hospital, N.Y. Nov. 1, 1917, appointed on the Chief Surgeon's Staff, A.E.F., and worked seven months on hospital organization, establishing about 25,000 beds and reporting on many more. June 1, 1918, appointed Commanding Officer, Base Hospital 15. This was the largest base hospital near the front, with 3,000 beds. Returned to the U.S. Feb. 25, 1919, and was honorably discharged March 3. Promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in Nov., 1918. Awarded the Médaille d'Honneur by the French Government in Apr., 1919.



ENLISTED in the Coast Artillery Oct. 15, 1918, and was sent to Fort Monroe, Va. Assigned as a Private to Company G, O.T.S. Discharged Nov. 21, 1918.



ENTERED the U.S.N.R.F. March 27, 1917, as 3rd class Gunner's Mate. Made 2nd class Quartermaster on board U.S.S. Morris in June, and 1st class Quartermaster at Pelham Bay, in Nov. Passed the mental examination for Ensign in Jan., 1918, but owing to defective eyesight did not receive the commission of Ensign until May. Served as executive officer on U.S.S. Sachem until release from service, Jan. 2, 1919.



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F. June 2, 1917, as a Seaman of the 2nd class. Ordered to Saunders Range, Md., for training, then to Norfolk, Va., for duty on the U.S. coast guard cutter Pamlico. Entered the Officer Material School at Hampton Roads Naval Base in Feb., 1918, with the rating of Cadet. Commissioned as Ensign upon graduating, June 10. Served as Aide to Admiral Brittain, Commander of District Forces Afloat, 5th Naval District, for three months, and was then ordered to duty as Executive Officer on the submarine-chaser 192. Served subsequently in this capacity on submarine-chasers 200 and 202. Obtained release from active duty Dec. 15, 1918. Still an Ensign in the U.S.N.R.F. [Oct. 28, 1919.]



ENTERED active service in July, 1918, and was made Captain in the Med. C., U.S.A., A.E.F. Attached as Neurologist to Base Hospital 76, and stationed at Vichy, France, from Sept., 1918, to Feb., 1919. Honorably discharged in March, 1919.



ENLISTED in Company B, Harvard Unit, S.A.T.C., as a Private, Oct. 10, 1918, and was discharged Dec. 14, 1918.



ENLISTED as Coxswain in the U.S.N.R. at Newport in May, 1917. Later served seven months on U. S. Submarine-chaser 325. Promoted to Chief Petty Officer Apr. 1, 1918. Sent to inactive duty. Dec. 6, 1918.



MADE Captain, U.S.A., Feb. 14, 1918, and assigned to Hq., Northeastern Department, Boston, Mass. At present [Oct. 30, 1919] on duty in the same place.



[Does not answer. Lieutenant, A. E. F.]



ENLISTED as a Private, March 29, 1917, in the First Corps of Cadets, Boston. Made Corporal July 5, in the 1st Mass. Engineers. Sailed overseas Sept. 26 with the 101st U.S. Engineers. In the Toni sector with them from March, 1918, to June, being made a Sergeant May 15; in the Aisne-Marne defensive in July; the Château-Thierry offensive in July and Aug., being made Sergeant of the 1st class July 29; and in the St. Mihiel offensive in Sept., 1918. At the Engineer Candidates' School, Langres, France, from Oct. 4 to Nov. 18, and graduated with certificate. Transferred back to the 101st Engineers in Dec. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Corps of Engineers, March 20, 1919. Landed at Boston Apr. 4, and was discharged Apr. 29, 1919.


HOMER GAGE, JR., 1914.

JOINED the A.F.S. in June, 1917, and continued in it until Sept., then enlisting in the U.S. Army as a Private in the Ambulance Service: S.S.U. 31 (under A.F.S. régime); S.S.U. 643 (under A.E.F. régime). Gassed and slightly wounded while in the S.S.U. 31. Served in the fight for the Bois d'Avocourt ; Morthomme and Hill 304; Hill 344; and in general in the Verdun sector for over a year. The Section was also engaged in the entire second battle of the Marne, and later in the Vosges.


STEPHEN GALATTI, 1905. (P.G. 1906.)

JOINED the A.F.S. in France Sept. 1, 1915, and was Assistant Director from Jan., 1916, to Oct., 1917. Received a commission in the U.S. Army as Captain, U.S.A.A.S., Oct. 10, in France. Promoted to Major Oct. 20, 1918, and discharged May 12, 1919. Cited to the order of the regiment, 66th French Division, Jan., 1916, Croix de Guerre. The citation follows.

"A pendant quinze jours assuré nuit et jour, sur une route de montagne difficile et constamment battue par les projectiles ennemis, l'évacuation de nombreux blessés, avec un zèle et un dévouement digne de tous les éloges."



ENLISTED as a Private of the 1st class in the S.E.R.C., Aviation Section, June 23, 1917. Attended the Ground School, University of Illinois. Primary training at Wilbur Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio. Commissioned Jan. 29, 1918, 2nd Lieutenant, S.R.C., Aviation Section, and was made Flying Instructor at Ellington Field, Houston, Tex. Instructor in Gas Engines at Camp Dick, Dallas, Tex:, and Flying Instructor at Payne Field, West Point, Miss., until Jan. 1, 1919. Made Post Supply Officer at Payne Field until discharged, July 16, 1919.



RECEIVED commission as Captain in the Ordnance R.C., U.S.A., Dec. 12, 1917, and resigned Apr. 15, 1918. Enrolled as Quartermaster of the 3rd class, U.S.N.R., Apr. 23, 1918. Commissioned as Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Sept. 9. Ordered to inactive duty Jan. 8, 1919.



PRIVATE in Company H, 302nd Infantry, at Camp Devens from Sept. 20 until Nov. 9, 1917. Received a medical discharge on the latter date.



ENLISTED as a Private in the Marine Corps July 3, 1918. Sailed overseas Oct. 22, joined the 5th Regiment of Marines Nov. 12, and marched with them into Germany, becoming a member of the Army of Occupation. Dec. 1, promoted to Corporal. Feb. 1, 1919, promoted to 2nd Lieutenant. Received honorable discharge June 1, 1919.



ENLISTED in the U.S. Navy in Apr., 1917, and was transferred to the U.S. Naval Air Station, Squantum, Mass., in May. In Sept. transferred to the U.S. Naval Air Station at Hampton Roads, Va., and served there as an Instructor. Assigned to the Royal Flying Corps, School of Aerial Gunnery, Fort Worth, Tex., in Feb., 1918. Received foreign orders in March, 1918. Attached to the Royal Naval Aviation Service, Hornsea, Yorkshire, England, in Apr.; to the Royal Naval Air Force, School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping, Stonehenge, Wilts, England, as an Instructor for one month, in May; and to the U.S. Northern Bombing Squadron, St. Nylevert, France, in July. While in England, operated with the corps which crossed the English Channel to make air raids, and in France piloted bombing and fighting planes on the Belgian and French fronts. Attached to the U.S.A.S., Milan, Italy, in Aug., and made a flight across the Alps. From Sept. to Dec., 1918, attached to No. 214 Squadron, R.A.F., in France. Ordered home in Dec., 1918, and relieved from active duty in Feb., 1919. Appointed Ensign Jan. 2, 1918, and Lieutenant (j.g.) Dec. 12, 1918. Obtained a pilot's license, Naval Reserve Flying Corps. Recommended for honors by the British Navy; and awarded the U.S. Navy Cross for distinguished service overseas. [Report by William A. Gaston.]



ENTERED the U.S.N.R.F. in July, 1918, and trained for two months as a Seaman of the 2nd class at the Pelham Bay Naval Training Station. Was then assigned to U.S. Destroyer Evans, and served as a Seaman of the 1st class until Dec., 1918, when released from active service.



APR. 11, 1917, went to Fort Slocum, N.Y. Oct. 8, joined the 110th Engineers, 35th Division, Camp Doniphan, Okla., and Dec. 10 the 137th Infantry at the same camp. In Apr., 1918, at Evacuation Hospital No. 16; in Aug., in the Argonne-Meuse sector in France; and in Feb., 1919, with the Army of Occupation in Germany. Joined the 35th Division, 110th Engineers, in March. Returned to the U.S. in Apr., and Apr. 29 was mustered out of service at Camp Merritt. Promotions were as follows: 1st Lieutenant, M.R.C., in March, 1917; Captain, M.R.C., in Aug.; Major, M.R.C., in Aug.; and Lieutenant-Colonel, Med. C., in Apr., 1919.



VOLUNTEERED, and attended the O.T.C. at Fort Niagara. Made 2nd Lieutenant in the Regular Army, 19th F.A., San Antonio, Tex. Sailed March 4, 1918, and served at the front from Aug. 1 to Nov. 11. Took part in four major offensives. Then served with the Army of Occupation, and returned in July, 1919. Made 1st Lieutenant in Oct., 1917. Discharged Aug. 16, 1919. Received the following citations, for "distinguished conduct in action":

"One of the many instances of his bravery and self-sacrifice occurred on or about October 15, 1918, while the battery was being shelled by the enemy. Lieutenant Graham ordered his men to a position of safety, and without thought of personal danger, relieved the observation guard, taking over the position himself until the shelling had ceased."

"On November 10, 1918, near Vilney, France, when his battery was ordered to prepare a new forward position, he went forward with a few men and carried out the mission in person, being under most severe shell fire, with practically no shelter available. This mission he could very properly have delegated to some other officer of his battery."



VOLUNTEERED and enlisted as a Private in the 19th F.A. in Feb., 1918, and sailed for France May 25. At St. Die for three weeks, and then went to the Saumur Artillery School. Passed the examinations for 2nd Lieutenant, but did not then receive the commission because of the armistice. Served with the Army of Occupation. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant Apr. 30, 1919, 19th F.A. Landed in America July 22, 1919, and was honorably discharged Aug. 13, 1919.



ENLISTED June 22, 1917, in the U.S.A.A.S. with the French Army, S.S.U. 511. Stationed at Allentown, Pa. Sailed overseas Dec. 26, 1917, and was attached to the A.R.C. Military Hospital No. 1 at Neuilly for several months. Later served with the American 79th Division, at Argonne-Meuse, and afterwards with the French Army of Occupation in Germany. Returned to the U.S.A. March 27, 1919, and was discharged from the service Apr. 4, 1919.



[Does not answer.]



1ST Provisional Training Regiment from May 12 to Aug. 15, 1917.Captain, Company M, 302nd Infantry, from Sept. 1, 1917, to Jan. 10, 1919. Captain, Company F, 313th Infantry, from Jan. 10 to March 1, 1919. Service in France was from July 12, 1918, to June 28, 1919. Discharged July 24, 1919.



SEPT. 15, 1918, entered the S.A.T.C., Yale Unit, F.A., as a Private, and was made Sergeant Oct. 8. Discharged from the S.A.T.C. Dec. 19, 1918, and commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., O.R.C.

Halcomb to Munroe