Albert E. Benson
Saint Mark's School in the War against Germany



[Address not known. Major, U.S.A.]



IN 1917 went abroad in the service of the A.R.C. and established a canteen near Verdun. After this canteen had been put into successful operation, returned to this country, and in May, 1918, enlisted in the U.S. Army, without seeking a commission. [Report from the Secretary's Office, Yale University.]



MADE 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., May 10, 1917. Attended the 1st Training Camp, Fort Riley, Kansas, from June 15 to Aug. 15, 1917, and was made 1st Lieutenant, F.A., Aug. 15. Sailed for France Sept. 10, and attended the Artillery School at Saumur, France, from Oct. through Dec., 1917. Assigned to the 6th F.A., 1st Division, Jan. 1, 1918, and in command of Battery E, 6th F.A., from March 1, 1918, to Feb. 1, 1919, except during absences from June 17 to 31, July 28 to Aug. 14, and Oct. 4 to Jan. 1, 1919. Made Captain Apr. 25, 1918. Wounded June 17, 1918, and again Oct. 4, 1918. Received divisional citations March 1, 1918 and July 20, 1918. Occupied the following sectors: Toul, Montdidier, Saiserais. Took part in the following engagements: Cantigny, Montdidier-Noyon defensive, Soissons, St. Mihiel, Argonne. With the Army of Occupation from Jan. 1 to Feb. 1, 1919. Received orders to return for discharge Feb. 1, which was received Apr. 9, 1919. The citations are not accessible.



SERVED in the A.A.F.S. under A. Piatt Andrew, Vosges Detachment, from Dec. 2, 1916, to June 2, 1917. Entered Fontainebleau as a Civilian, by special permission, June 11, 1917, and graduated as Aspirant Civil of Artillery, Sept. 3. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant, F.A., U.S.R., Oct. 2. Joined F. Battery, 6th F.A., 1st Division, and went into line Nov. 6. Served on all fronts with the 1st Division. Took part in the following battles: Cantigny (Montdidier defensive) ; Soissons; St. Mihiel; Argonne. Spent four months and a half with the Army of Occupation near Coblentz. Recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross.



ENLISTED in the F.A. in Apr., 1918. Sergeant Instructor in the F.A. Replacements, Camp Jackson, S.C., until July. Joined the F.A., C.O.T.S., Camp Taylor, Ky., in July. Transferred to the Reserve as 1st Lieutenant about the end of 1918.



ENLISTED as a Seaman of the 2nd class, U.S.N.R., June 1, 1917. Commissioned Ensign, U.S.N.R., Oct. 1, and resigned Jan. 31, 1918. Commissioned Ensign in the U.S. Navy Feb. 1. Commissioned Lieutenant U.S.N., July 1, and resigned Jan. 3, 1919.



ENLISTED May 15, 1917, in the O.T.C., and trained at Madison Barracks. Graduated as Captain of Infantry Aug. 15. Assigned to Camp Dix, N.J., and attached to the 311th Infantry. Assigned in Sept. to the 153rd Depot Brigade, commanding Company 18, 5th Battalion, 153rd Depot Brigade. From June to Sept., 1919, on special duty in charge of Camp Dix Casual Detachment. Assigned in Sept., 1918, to Company 55, 15th Battalion, 153rd Depot Brigade. Discharged from the service as Captain Dec. 21, 1918.



[Does not answer. 2nd Lieutenant, A.E.F.]



FROM Jan. to May, 1918, trained at the S.M.A., Mass. Institute of Technology. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, A.S.,S.C., May 2. Stationed during May and June at Taylor Field, Montgomery, Ala. June 27, sailed for England as Casual. From July to Nov., 1918, stationed at Catterick, Yorkshire, England, with the Day Bombing Squadron. Sailed for home Nov. 29. Jan. 2, 1919, accepted commission as 1st Lieutenant in the O.R.C., and was discharged from active duty.



ENTERED the service March 1, 1917, enlisting at Key West, Fla., in the S.E.R.C. as a Sergeant. Received training at the Curtiss Civilian Training School at Miami, Fla., under government supervision. Commissioned June 9, 1917, as 1st Lieutenant, Aviation Section, S.R.C. July 10, ordered to Kelly Field, San Antonio, Tex. Aug. 12, ordered to Toronto, Canada, in command of the 27th Aero Squadron. Oct. 17 ordered to Scott Field, Belleville, Ill., as Assistant Officer in Charge of Flying. Dec. 23, ordered to Ellington Field, Houston, Tex., in the same capacity. Feb. 12, 1918, ordered to Carruthers Field, Fort Worth, Tex., as Officer in Charge of Flying. Promoted to Captain Feb. 20. June 5, ordered to Mineola to the First Provisional Wing. Held the position of Wing Flight Officer, Commanding Officer, Whitehall Field and Roosevelt Field respectively. Oct. 2, ordered overseas in charge of a detachment of 120 pilots to report at Issoudun for training as chasse pilots. Returned Feb. 12, and was discharged Feb. 14, 1919.



WENT ON active duty as Captain of Cavalry, O.R.C., Leon Springs, Tex., May 5, 1917. Transferred to the Tank Service Dec. 15, and commissioned Captain, Tank Corps, Dec. 22. Sailed Dec. 28, and landed at Liverpool Jan. 12, 1918. Attached to the British Tank Corps from Jan. to March. Served as Reconnaissance Officer, American 302 Tank Brigade, from Apr. to June. Returned to the U.S. in July. Commanding Officer, Tank Corps Schools, Camp Polk, Raleigh, N.C. Commanding Officer 311th Tank Centre Hq. to Nov. 11, 1918. Commanding Officer, Tank Corps Schools Franklin Cantonment, Camp Meade, Md., from Dec., 1918, to June 24, 1919. Discharged at Camp Meade June 24, 1919.



ABROAD from March to Nov., 1918, as a War Correspondent, A.E.F., under the Intelligence Department; also certified with the B.E.F. under the Ministry of Public Information; Special Representative of the New York Tribune; Special Correspondent for reports to the War Department Commission on Training Camps; Representative of Inter-Fraternity Conference abroad; and in charge of clubs in Paris and London, and of work for members of Delta Kappa Epsilon.



REJECTED several times because of defective eyesight. Went to France with the Red Cross, Transportation Department, in Jan., 1918. Worked in Paris as a Private, in connection with automobile service, and in the Director's office. Continued in the latter for five months, and was then promoted to 1st Lieutenant, and Aide to the Director. Made Captain in Dec., and Major in Jan., 1919. Returned home in Apr. Served as Aide to the Director, and some of the time in Paris as Acting Director of Transportation. The Department had a personnel of 1,500, and as many automobiles, with warehouses at fourteen ports and operating points all over France. All Red Cross material and all workers were under the jurisdiction of this office. Was offered work on several other commissions, but declined it. Received the following decorations: Field Service Medal and the Médaille des Epidémies. The citations are not accessible.



ENTERED the British Royal Flying Corps as a Cadet, Sept. 3, 1917. Received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in Jan., 1918, and was Instructor in flying for nine months. Made 1st Lieutenant, R.A.F., Apr. 1, 1918. Went overseas in Sept., and returned Apr. 3, 1919.



SERVED for two years in the Yale Battery. [Report by Walter H. Hellier.]



WITH the A.A.S. from June to Nov., 1915, and the Royal Flying Corps, British Army, as Cadet, from Nov. 26, 1917, to July 10, 1918. 2nd Lieutenant from July 10, 1918, to Feb. 8, 1919.



ENTERED the U.S.N.R.F. at Newport, R.I., Apr. 13, 1917, as a Seaman of the 1st class. Served on several patrol boats stationed at Newport, R.I., New Bedford, Mass., and Norfolk, Va. In Dec., transferred from Norfolk to the office of Aide for Information, Newport, R.I. In June, 1918, transferred to take charge of the office of Aide for Information placed by the Cape Cod Canal, and given the temporary rank of Chief Yeoman. At the signing of the armistice the office on the Cape Cod Canal was closed. Then transferred back to Newport to await discharge, and was released from active service as a Seaman of the 1st class Jan. 11, 1919.



ENLISTED June 22, 1918, at Camp Devens, Mass., and sailed for France July 5, arriving July 12. Assigned to Hq. Troop, 76th Division, June 25; transferred to Hq. Company, 3rd Depot Division, Sept. 22; transferred to the St. Aignan Casual Camp Nov. 13; transferred to Company G,, 9th Provisional Regiment, A.E.F., University of Beaune, March 8, 1919. Appointed Corporal Aug. 23, 1918, and Sergeant Sept. 4, 1918. Discharged at Camp Devens July 10, 1919.



VOLUNTEER Field Ambulance Driver in the Section Sanitaire Harjes, attached to the 26th Division, 6th Army Corps of France; and served at the front, chiefly in the Montdidier sector, from July to Oct., 1915. For its work in the war the Section received four army and three divisional citations, entitling its members to the Fourragères of the Croix de Guerre and the Médaille Militaire. At the 1st Plattsburg O.T.C., N.Y., in May, June and July of 1917. Recommended for a commission in the Intelligence Corps, U.S.A. Ratification being delayed, was placed upon the reserve list. Enlisted Sept. 20, 1917, as a Cadet in the Imperial Royal Flying Corps. Trained in Canada and Texas, and was commissioned in Toronto in Apr., 1918. Graduated in England as a Service Pilot; passed through the Midland School of Special Flying; and was made Instructor at Shawbury Camp, Salop, with rank of 1st Flight Lieutenant, R.A.F. Flew until demobilized there in Feb., 1919.



FROM Nov., 1915, to May, 1916, Field Ambulance Driver (Section Sanitaire Harjes) ; attached to the French Army. Took part in the battle of Verdun. The Section received two army and five divisional citations. Received the following distinctions: Fourragère de la Croix de Guerre, and Fourragère de la Médaille Militaire. Trained six months in 1917 for the U.S. Army at Governor's Island. Enlisted in the British Royal Flying Corps in Sept., 1917, at Toronto, Canada, with rank as Cadet until Jan. 1, 1918. From Jan., 1918, until March, 2nd Lieutenant, abroad; and from March to Sept., 1st Flight Lieutenant abroad. Honorably discharged in Sept., 1918, because of wounds received.



SERVED On the Mexican border from June to Nov., 1916, in the 1st F.A., Mass. N.G. Enlisted in the 1st Depot Battalion, S.C., Nov. 17, 1917, in New York City, with the rank of Private of the 1st Class. Arrived in France Dec. 27. Transferred to the Corps of Intelligence Police Apr. 9, 1918, with the rank of Sergeant. Arrived in the U.S May 29, 1919, and was honorably discharged at Camp Mills, L.I., June 3, with the rank of Sergeant.



AT the 1st R.O.T.C., Plattsburg, N.Y., from May 10 to Aug. 15, 1917, and on the latter date was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, Company K, 302nd Infantry, 76th Division, stationed at Camp Devens. From Aug. 28 to July 4, 1918, served at Le Courneau, and at St. Amand until Nov. 15. Oct. 22 transferred to the 301st Military Police, stationed at St. Amand; and Nov. 10 this was transferred and stationed at Treves, Germany, and became 1st General Hq., Military Police Battalion. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant May 12, 1919. Arrived in the U.S. July 10, and was discharged Aug. 1.



IN Sept., 1915, enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps, and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant Dec. 13. In July, 1916, accompanied General Haig in his campaign on the Somme. Later in service in the English Coast Defence against raids, and in charge of anti-aircraft gun crews. Trained in England at Brooklands and at Croydon. Attached in France to the 12th and 13th Squadrons, and to Hq. Served in England as Instructor to the 49th and 44th Squadrons at No. 2 Auxiliary School of Aerial Gunnery, and to the 45th, 61st and 39th Squadrons at Grantham. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant July 1, 1917; Captain Sept. 1, 1918; and demobilized Jan. 25, 1919, at Thetford, England. Mentioned in the Victory Despatches from England in Nov., 1919, for "splendid service during the war." [From "New England Aviators," Houghton Mifflin Co., 1919.]



ENLISTED in Jan., 1916, as a Seaman of the 2nd class in the Naval Militia of N.Y., and received appointments as follows: Apr. 5, 1917, Ensign, U.S.N.R.F.; Sept. 15, Ensign (temporary), U.S.N.; June 1, 1918, Lieutenant (j.g.) (temporary), U.S.N.; Sept. 21, Lieutenant (temporary), U.S.N. Resigned from the service July 17, 1919. On convoy duty from Sept., 1917, until the armistice, serving on U.S.S. New Orleans and U.S.S. Des Moines; and on station duty in North Russia from May 1, 1919, to July 17.



COMMISSIONED as 1st Lieutenant in the Ordnance Department June 1, 1917. Served in Washington and New York with the Inspection Division, Ordnance Department, until Apr. 20, 1918. Sailed for Europe Apr. 28, and reached the A.E.F. May 6. Stationed at an Ordnance Depot near Chaumont from June to Sept., teaching in a school on the subject of the care and the handling of ammunition. Sept. 27, ordered to Hq., 2nd Army, at Toul, and remained there until Apr., 1919, as an Ammunition Inspector for the Army. March 9, promoted to the rank of Captain. Sailed for America May 6, landed May 20, and was discharged at Washington, May 23, 1919.



JOINED the Yale Mobile Hospital Unit No. 39 as a Truck Driver in Aug., 1917. Sailed for France on S.S. Baltic, as one of the first 30,000 American Volunteers. The Baltic had 2800 men on board, and took twenty-five days in crossing. She was torpedoed the last day by a submarine in the Irish Sea, a fifteen-foot hole being torn in her bow. Beginning in the spring of 1918, spent nine months at the front, acting as Surgical Assistant. Returned in the latter part of Jan., 1919, after eighteen months' service overseas.



BEGAN active service as 1st Lieutenant in the Med. R.C. Aug. 22, 1917. Served for varying periods at the Rockefeller Institute and as Chief of Laboratories in the Base Hospital at Camp Lee, and at General Hospital 12, Biltmore, N.C. Joined the A.E.F. July 12, 1918, and served as Chief Laboratory Officer at the Vittel-Contrexéville Hospital Centre, Vosges. Upon the break-up of this centre following the armistice, was assigned to Base Hospital 36, and returned with it to America. Discharged from the service Apr. 21, 1919, at Camp Jackson, S.C. Promotions were as follows: to Captain, Feb. 11, 1918; to Major, Nov. 14, 1918; and to Lieutenant-Colonel Feb. 14, 1919.



ENLISTED at Newport, R.I., May 25, 1917, and was called to active service Nov. 12. Held the rating of Boatswain's Mate, 2nd class, U.S.N.R.F., through active service, and confirmed rating in Feb., 1919. Commanding Officer of U.S.S. Speedway, S.P. 407, attached to the New London District Base, from July, 1918, to Feb., 1919. The Speedway was a patrol boat fifty-five feet long. Made the trip to Key West, Fla., in Sept. and Oct., 1918, to be attached to aviation work on the Gulf of Mexico. Released from active service at Newport, R.I., Feb. 18, 1919. Enlistment will terminate May 25, 1921.



SERVED in the U.S.N.R.F. Enlisted Jan. 6, 1918, as a Seaman of the 2nd class, at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station. Commissioned as an Ensign May 22, 1918. Foreign service, from Aug, 3 to Dec. 31, 1918, was as follows: on U.S.S. Noma, doing cargo convoy escort duty in the Bay of Biscay; and on U.S.S. Destroyer Benham, doing troop convoy escort duty out of Brest.



FROM Nov., 1916, to May, 1917, served with the A.A.F.S., S.S.U. 9, in France. In Nov., 1917, commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Adjutant General's Department, and assigned to the War Risk Insurance Section, A.E.F. In Apr., 1918, attached to the 32nd French Army Corps as Liaison Officer, later with the staff of the 4th Corps (American), and the 33rd French Army Corps. From Dec., 1918 to May, 1919, with the Franco-American section of the Military Government of Paris. Received the Croix de Guerre from the 32nd French Army Corps. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant as of July, 1918. The citation follows.

"Avant l'entrée en guerre de l'Amérique s'est engagé dans une section sanitaire automobile, avec laquelle il a pris part aux combats devant Verdun. Placé ensuite par l'armée américaine comme Officier de liaison après du 32e Corps d'Armée Français s'y est distingué en accompagnant de jour et de nuit les Officiers de liaison dans les endroits les plus difficiles."



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, R.C., Aug. 15, 1917, and assigned to Company E, 302nd Infantry, from Sept. 1 to Nov. 10, 1918. Attached to Company B, 163rd Infantry, from Nov. 11 to Dec. 20, 1918. Assigned to Company L, 309th Infantry, from Dec. 26 to March 31, 1919; and to the 3rd Battalion, 309th Infantry, from Apr. 1 to June 5. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry, N.A., Dec. 31, 1917. Discharged at Camp Dix, N.J., June 5, 1919. Served overseas from July 5, 1918, to May 28, 1919.



ENROLLED in the U.S.N.R.F. Apr. 29, 1917, in the 3rd Naval District as Chief Boatswain's Mate, and was called into active service July 10. Spent the first two months training at Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, N.Y. Ordered Sept. 10 to report to the Commanding Officer of the Port Jefferson Training Station, Port Jefferson, L.I., and was there given command of the patrol boat S.P. 107. Transferred from Port Jefferson to U.S.S. Madawaska, then doing transport duty between New York and St. Nazaire, France, and made a trip on her. Received orders on her return to New York to report to the Commanding Officer of the Rockaway Air Station at Rockaway, L.I., and on reporting was given command of U.S.S. Privateer, S.P. 179, then doing salvage and patrol work for the Station. Apr. 6, 1918, received commission as Ensign. Continued in command of S.P. 179 until Dec. 28, when put on the inactive list.



COMMISSIONED Captain of Infantry, U.S.A., at the O.T.C., Fort Myer, Va., Aug. 15, 1917. Completed the course in trench warfare at Cambridge, Mass., Sept. 25. Stationed at Camp Meade, Ind., from Sept. 25, 1917, to Feb., 1919, serving in the 154th Depot Brigade.



ENTERED the U.S. Navy March 23, 1917, as a Quartermaster of the 1st class. Served on S.P. 56 for five months at Newport and Block Island. Commissioned Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Sept. 20. Entered the reserve class at Annapolis for four months. Ordered abroad in Feb., 1918, and served eleven months at Queenstown and Brest on U.S.S. Tucker, a destroyer. Credited with one submarine; mentioned in the Secretary of the Navy's report. Commissioned Lieutenant (j.g.), U.S.N., July 1, 1918.



ENLISTED in the N.A. in Oct., 1917, and in Nov. joined the M.E.R.C., U.S.A., remaining until Sept., 1918. Served in the Med. C., Hospital Sergeant, 1st Class (acting, temporary), from Sept., 1918, to Jan., 1919; and in the Mass. State Guard, First Motor Corps, from May to Aug., 1918.



ENLISTED Apr. 30, 1917, in Squadron A Cavalry N.Y.N.G. Transferred to the A.S. Oct. 12. Graduated from the Princeton Ground School, and was sent to the San Diego Flying School. Apr. 30, 1918, commissioned Instructor in Duel at San Diego and Riverside, Cal. Finished the Pursuit Course at San Diego in Oct., 1918. Assistant Officer in Charge of pursuit work from Oct. 25, 1918, to date of discharge, Jan. 6, 1919.



ENTERED the U.S. Marine Corps and was sent to Paris Island Nov. 6, 1918, having enlisted Sept. 1. Served during sixteen weeks of training in the 426th Company. Feb. 5, transferred to Philadelphia and placed in the 88th Company of the 1st Regiment. Apr. 10, detailed to Quantico to shoot in the Eastern Division Rifle Match, having qualified as Expert Rifleman at Paris Island for the year 1918. May 6 shot in the match and qualified again for the year 1919. May 8 returned to Philadelphia and remained until transferred July 1 to the Boston Navy Yard as a Prison Guard. July 14, 1919, discharged with the rank of Private. The work in Philadelphia consisted of three months' guard duty, and, the rest of the time, storing away the Company's equipment, which consisted of searchlights.



ENLISTED in M.G. Troop, Squadron A, N.Y.N.G. Cavalry, Apr. 29, 1917, which was made the 105th M.G. Battalion of the 27th Division, and sent to Spartanburg Oct. 8, 1917. Attained the rank of Corporal and remained with this organization, in C Company, until transferred, May 1, 1918, to the 15th Aero Squadron of the A.S. at Hazelhurst Field, Mineola, L.I. Sent to the M.G.O.T.C. at Camp Hancock, Augusta, Ga., Sept. 25, and there completed the course shortly after the armistice. Had the choice between being put on the Officers' Reserve List and receiving a discharge. Was honorably discharged Dec. 18, 1918.



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F. Feb. 4, 1918, and was ordered to report for duty on the same date at the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts at Washington. Rated upon entrance as a Seaman of the 2nd class, and was advanced to Seaman of the 1st Class Nov. 30. Did duty in this bureau all the time of service, in charge of filing papers, etc. Discharged from active service Jan. 10, 1919.



RICHARD MATHER JOPLING was born in Marquette, Michigan, on Sunday, July sixteenth, 1893, the son of James Edmund and Elizabeth Walton (Mather) Jopling. His mother was a direct descendant of Richard Mather, the father of Increase, and the grandfather of Cotton Mather. He attended the public schools until ill health compelled him to substitute private instruction, and in 1905 entered the Third Form at the Fay School. Graduating in 1907 with the silver medal and the scholarship prize, which he had also taken in 1906, he entered St. Mark's in the fall, and graduated in five years. Here he was distinguished for his interest and scholarship in English and for his musical taste and accomplishment. A threatened heart trouble prevented him from doing much with athletics. He entered Harvard with the class of 1916, and took his degree with this class, though he completed the work for it in three years. At Harvard also he was distinguished for literary taste and for music, and when in Commencement week he received an offer from the New York Times, it answered his strongest wishes. But this offer was conditional upon immediate acceptance, and he had already signed for the Plattsburg Training Camp in August. With deep regret he declined, and gave his services to his country.


Upon the declaration of war he offered himself at the Plattsburg Camp, but was rejected on account of being under weight. He thereupon devoted himself to building up his health, in the meantime working for the Red Cross in New York; but again failed at Plattsburg, and applied for overseas duty in ambulance work with the American Field Service. He sailed for France on September the thirteenth, and took the field under Unit No. 66 in the district between Soissons and Rheims, as a Private of the first class. When the United States took over the Field Service the number of his unit was changed to 623. After the German drive at Chemin des Dames in May, 1918, he was cited for the Croix de Guerre, and the medal was found among his effects after his death. He received a second citation for bravery at Mézières on the last day of the war. There he received shell-shock, but continued on active duty until his short furlough in England. He there succumbed to the effects of the shock on Sunday, March the sixteenth. He was buried with military honors in Brookwood Cemetery, Surrey, near London. The citations follow.

"Soldat du première classe Richard JOPLING, de la Section Sanitaire Américaine 623: A toujours fait preuve de réelles qualités d'endurance et d'initiative. S'est particulièrement distingué le 27 mai à l'attaque de l'AISNE. Pendant l'avance française de CHAMPAGNE (octobre-novembre 1918) s'est montré d'un dévouement à toute épreuve. A coöpéré à l'évacuation de l'Hôpital de MÉZIÈRES violemment bombardé et incendié par l'ennemie."

"S.S.U. 623. Depuis le début de l'offensive du 27 mai a réussi à évacuer tous les blessés des postes avancés malgré la violence du bombardement, les tirs des mitrailleuses, et l'atmosphère toxique que les conducteurs ont dû souvent traverser.

"Le courage et le sang-froid des conducteurs ont fait l'admiration des troupes qui les ont vus à l'oeuvre."

"Sous l'énergique commandement du Lieutenant Campbell, la Section 623 composée de volontaires américains a participé à toutes les actions de la Division d'Infanterie depuis un an. A fait l'admiration des troupes par le courage, le sang-froid et le mépris du danger de ses conducteurs, venant prendre les blessés aux positions avancées dans les conditions les plus difficiles. S'est particulièrement distinguée pendant l'attaque de CHAMPAGNE septembre-octobre 1918, et pendant l'évacuation de l'Hospice civil de Mézières bombardé et incendié par les allemands le 10 novembre, circonstances où les conducteurs de la Section ont rivalisé de courage et de dévouement."

In the vivid style which would have brought him success in journalism if he had been spared, Jopling writes of the devastation and wanton brutality of the Germans in Belgium, and like McKinlock, bears witness to the inadequacy of America's conception of them. There can be little doubt that the effect upon him of these horrors materially lessened his chances of recovery from the shell-shock; but the increased work in the ruined areas, which he would not forsake, was also a large factor; and moreover he did not cease to put his musical ability to daily use. Among his effects were found letters from three officers recommending his promotion to the rank of Lieutenant; and one of his companions in battle tells that Jopling returned and saved him in the face of a heavy barrage fire. Such is the record of the St. Mark's boy who could not pass the physical examination at Plattsburg, after sacrificing that life work which had always been his greatest ambition; the gentle, earnest, but almost over-modest boy we knew, who watched quietly from the side-lines at the football games, spent hours by himself in the music-room, and wrote poems for the Vindex. It teaches a lesson which the School sometimes needs: a just understanding of the heroism required to give up the more popular activities and rewards, and to go courageously and strongly in the direction of duty. How he went about his work; how patiently and skilfully he made his talents count, we know; but his manhood and courage had not the opportunities for display which are given to most boys. That they proved in him to be worthy of the greatest honors among the men that America sent into the war is a consummation which brings to his School a glory distinct from all others. The closing lines of one of his poems in the Vindex, written as he was about to graduate, are strikingly prophetic of the work to which his mighty ideals led him at last:

Spirit of the School! live in us yet;
Thy earnest, fearless ardor let us feel,
That each disheartening combat may be met
With boyish zeal.

Then onward still, with never thought of rest,
Till all the tumult of the world is past, --
That, with a conquering courage in our breast,
We may be men at last!


JOHN KEAN, 1907.

MADE 2nd Lieutenant of Cavalry, O.R.C., May 8, 1917; Aug. 15, 1917, Captain 5th Provisional Training Regiment, Fort Myer, Va. Served with the 313th M.G. Battalion; Hq. Troop, 80th Division; 315th M.G. Battalion. Took part in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne offensives, and was wounded Oct. 4, 1918. Discharged June 23, 1919.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., U.S.R., at Plattsburg, in Aug., 1917, and sailed for France Sept. 8. Assigned to the 15th F.A., 2nd Division, A.E.F., and served with it at the front from March to Sept., 1918. Cited for gallantry in action in the Château-Thierry sector. Received the Distinguished Service Cross for the action at Vierzy, France, July 18, 1918. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant, 15th F.A., Sept. 12, 1918. Instructor in the Army Intelligence School from Nov., 1918, to Jan., 1919; Assistant G-2, 3rd Army, A.E.F., from Jan. to March, 1919; and Asst. Military Attaché, American Embassy, Paris, from March to May, 1919. Demobilized in May, 1919. The citation for the action at Vierzy follows.

"For extraordinary heroism in Action near Vierzy, France, 18th July, 1918.

"Lieutenant Kean accompanied two successive waves of infantry in the attack on Vierzy and Villemontoire, July 18, exposed himself with almost reckless disregard of the enemy's heavy shell and machine gun fire, secured invaluable information for the Artillery as to the location of our own and the enemy's lines, and personally took command of an isolated 9th Infantry Machine Gun Detachment that had lost its officers by heavy fire. Lieutenant Kean on July 18th and 19th actually accompanied three successive waves of the 23rd Infantry, the 9th Infantry, and an attack by French Infantry without rest. His endurance and courage were exceptional upon this occasion and upon all other occasions of attack by the 2nd Division."


✠ EDWARD KEMP, JR., 1912.

EDWARD KEMP, JR., the son of Edward Kemp and Josephine De Mott Kemp, was born in New York on the twenty-eighth of January, 1892. He tutored at home until he entered the Fay School, from which he came to St. Mark's in September, 1906. He went to Harvard College with the class of 1916. After a year of preparation he went into his father's business, and continued in it until he entered the service.

Kemp joined the First Armored Motor Battery of New York in 1916, before the United States entered the war. He acted on many occasions as Messenger for the military authorities; and being an expert mechanician, instructed in riding motorcycles and in the care of engines. In the summer of 1916 he went to camp at Peekskill with the Battery; and the following fall and winter was on call and duty day and night. During the severely cold weather he went to Tarrytown to guard the aqueduct, and also drove a motor truck with supplies through the snow-bound roads to the other men on duty. He also acted many times as Messenger to the various camps in New York State. On March the fifth, 1917, he accompanied the Motor Battery to Washington for the President's inauguration procession. When returning to the armory the following day, on the way up Fifth Avenue, he was ordered to investigate a delay involving several motors. He succeeded in adjusting their motor troubles, and proceeded to report to the officer in command. At Ninety-first street a truck which had just been held up for the other cyclists turned suddenly in front of Kemp's machine. He tried to pass behind it, but was unable to do so, and was instantly killed.


Captain Montgomery testifies to Kemp's great value to the service, both as an expert on motors and as an enthusiastic and prompt soldier, always the first to volunteer for any duty. Kemp was about to receive an officer's commission at the time of his death. He was given a military funeral, which was attended by the Armored Motor Corps in full numbers.

Quiet and industrious as when a boy at school, Edward Kemp offered himself of his own free will for the difficult and dangerous task of guarding his country from the unseen, internal danger before war was declared. He is the only one of our boys who did this and died in the service, too soon to see the result of his work; and from our memories of him it is fitting that he should represent the unselfishness and simple, modest efficiency which we hope and pray may always characterize our school. As long as they are properly prized, there is no danger that the perfect sacrifice which Kemp made will fail to receive the honor due to those who died on the battlefield. Such work as his precludes any admixture of self-seeking or any thought of reward beyond what his conscience gave him. The earnestness and sweetness of his character were pervasive of everything that he undertook, and won him the affection and substantial regard of whoever was associated with him. The same qualities brought him into the service before he was formally called upon, and his steadily growing efficiency in his work, already emphasized by his superior officer, was advancing him to places of honor at the time of his death. The war has shown in many ways how far back of the actual battle-line the terrible moral test penetrated; and to the man who fought an unseen foe, and proved America sound to the core, belongs as surely as to those whose work came afterwards the honor which shall not perish.



ENLISTED July 21, 1917, as a Private in the 9th N.Y.C.A.C., and was mustered into the Federal service Aug. 5. Stationed at Fort Hancock, N.J., until Feb., 1918; then transferred by request to the Aviation Section, S.C. Sent to Kelly Field, Tex., and placed on duty with the 144th Aero Squadron. Was accepted for the S.M.A., and ordered to the S.M.A., Princeton, N.J., during the latter part of Aug., 1918. Transferred to the S.M.A. at Austin, Tex., and graduated Dec. 7. Discharged from the military service as a Private of the 1st class, A.S.A., Dec. 11, 1918.



ATTENDED the first O.T.C. at Leon Spring, Tex., and was sent from there to Fort Monroe, Va. Resigned from the service in the fall on account of very important personal matters for which a long leave of absence could not be obtained. Returned to the service and was commissioned Captain in the Q.M.C., and assigned to duty with the Construction Division. Served in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Was placed in charge of all construction work on the coast defences of Cape Fear, Charleston, and Savannah. After finishing the work at those points, was ordered overseas (after the armistice), and assigned to the duty of drilling recruits at Camp Pontenezen, France. Returned to this country Sept. 27, 1919, and was honorably discharged Oct. 27, 1919.



ENLISTED as a Private in the Tank Corps, June 7, 1918. Sailed for France Sept. 25, and served in Company B, 330th Battalion, Tank Corps. Arrived in the U.S. March 13, and was discharged as Corporal Apr. 11, 1919.



WENT to France in Dec., 1917, as 1st Lieutenant in the 15th N.Y. Infantry. The designation of this regiment was then changed to the 369th U.S. Infantry. In Apr., 1918, it was brigaded with the French, and sent to the front as part of the 4th French Army until after the armistice. Was engaged against the German offensive in Champagne in Aug., and in the French offensive in Champagne in Sept. Took part in the entry into Alsace as part of the French Army of Occupation. In Dec., 1918, transferred to the Provost Marshal's Department. In June, 1919, discharged from the service in France.



ENLISTED at Seattle about Feb. 1, 1918, and trained at Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill. Sailed for France at the end of March. Served in the 90th Transportation Company in or around Tours until July, 1919, and then returned to the U.S. as a Corporal. Mustered out early in Aug., 1919. [Report by C. A. Kidder.]



ENLISTED Dec. 3, 1914, in Battery A, 1st Battalion, Mass. F.A., and did Mexican border service from June to Nov., 1916. Detailed to the R.O.T.C., Plattsburg Barracks, N.Y., in May, 1917, and was discharged from Battery A, 1st Mass. F.A., July 11. At the 1st Plattsburg Training Camp, Plattsburg Barracks, N.Y., from May 21 to Aug. 15. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant, F.A.R.C., Aug. 15, ordered to Camp Devens, Mass., and assigned to the 302nd F.A. Did duty with Battery A, 302nd F.A., from Aug., 1917, to Feb., 1918. At the Balloon School at Fort Omaha and Fort Sill from Feb. to June. Relieved from duty with the A.S. (Balloon) and rejoined Regiment, 302nd F.A., in June, doing duty with Hq. Company, 302nd F.A. Sailed for France in July, 1918, and was appointed Regimental Intelligence Officer in Oct. Served in the St. Mihiel sector, St. Hilaire offensive, Nov. 4 to Nov. 11, 1918. Arrived in the U.S. May 3, 1919, and was discharged as 1st Lieutenant of the 302nd F.A. May 7.



WENT abroad as a Y.M.C.A. Secretary in Dec., 1917, and returned in Dec., 1918. Spent all the time in France, except for a week in England. Promoted twice, to Hut Secretary and then to Division Secretary. Served with colored troops.



COMMISSIONED at Washington as Captain, M.O.R.C., May 15, 1917; immediately ordered into active service; and sailed for England May 19 with the first Orthopaedic Unit, under Major J. E. Goldthwait. Served in England under Sir Robert Jones in his orthopaedic hospitals, being "loaned" to the British from June, 1917, to July, 1918. Then transferred to the U.S. forces and sent to France for instruction. Returned to England in Sept., and served there as orthopaedic Consultant of the Base Section, No. 3, S.O.S., which included all American hospitals in England, until Jan. 22, 1919. Ordered home and to duty at the Base Hospital, Camp Dix, until Feb. 28. Then ordered to the U.S.A. General Hospital No. 36, at Detroit, in charge of orthopaedic service. On duty there until discharged, June 30, 1919. Promoted to Major Oct. 1, 1918.



ENLISTED Oct. 9, 1918, as a Private in the U.S. Marine Corps. Discharged Dec. 16, 1918.



ENTERED the Royal Flying Corps as Cadet for Pilot Apr. 22, 1918. Promoted Jan. 1, 1919, to Flight Cadet, and discharged on the same date.



ENLISTED Aug. 4, 1917, as a Sergeant, Q.M.C. Commissioned Aug. 26, 1918, as 2nd Lieutenant, Q.M.C. In service at Camp Dix, N.J.; Camp J. E. Johnston, Fla.; France; and with the Army of Occupation at Coblentz, Germany. Discharged from the U.S. Army Oct. 3, 1919.



JOINED the Harvard Unit of the S.A.T.C. Sept. 22, 1918, and served as a Private until honorably discharged Dec. 10, 1918.



1914-1916, Member of N.G., 1st Armored Motor Battery. In Oct., 1916, commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the 15th N.Y. Infantry (colored). Entered the recruiting service in Jan., and was made 1st Lieutenant. The regiment was drafted into the Federal service July 15, 1917. Sailed for Europe in Nov., 1917. At St. Nazaire, France, until March, 1918, when the regiment was given to the French, and became part of Gen. Gouraud's 4th Army in Champagne. Went into the sector at the left of the Aisne River, Apr. 1, and remained there until Nov. 11. Served with the 16th French Division for three months, and then with the 161st until Jan. 1, 1919, seven months. Held sectors in Champagne, and the last month of the war in Alsace. Held the following positions in the regiment in order: Lieutenant in Company F; Battalion Adjutant, 1st Battalion, for most of the campaign; Regimental Intelligence Officer; Liaison Officer; Regimental Adjutant; and finally Battalion Adjutant again with the old battalion on arriving in the U.S.A. Was gassed July 22, 1918, and badly bruised Sept. 29 by being knocked down by a shell just above the Optique Station which caused a roof to fail, life being saved by helmet. In two major battles, the German Champagne offensive, July 15-25, and the Champagne-Argonne drive which began Sept. 26, 1918. The Regiment was the first of all the Allied armies to reach the Rhine because of the extreme courtesy of our General of Division, General Le Bouc, when we marched from Thann, Alsace, to Blodelsheim on the Rhine. Received the Croix de Guerre with Palm, and the same with Star finally in Alsace, when the Division had a "Prise d'armes." The Distinguished Service Cross was pinned on at Le Mans, on the way home, by Major-General Glenn. The Regiment left Brest Feb. 1, and arrived at N.Y. Feb. 12. Mustered out March 1, 1919. The citations follow.

"Officier brave et dévoué. Pendant la bataille de Champagne, dans la nuit du 21 au 22 juillet, 1918, chargé du train de combat au cours d'une relève, a réussi, aidé seulement d'un soldat, à faire avancer son convoi sous un violent bombardement d'obus toxiques et à le mettre à l'abri, donnant ainsi un bel exemple de courage."

For the Distinguished Service Cross:

"For extraordinary heroism in action near Sechault, France, September 29, 1918. Lieutenant Landon, on duty as assistant liaison officer, personally carried an order to the assault battalion in order to insure its delivery, passing through heavy fire. The battalion commander being killed just as he arrived, Lieutenant Landon gave the order to the next senior, and then waited to see its execution. When the assaulting line wavered, under a terrific enemy barrage, this officer jumped ahead of the line and led the first wave 1000 meters to the objective, assisting in consolidating the new position before he returned to regimental headquarters."

"Officier remarkable de courage et de sang-froid. A plusieurs reprises au cours de la bataille du 26 au 30 septembre 1918, a établi personnellement des liaisons avec les bataillons. Le 30 septembre, a installé et manoeuvré lui-même un poste optique, sous un barrage des plus violents."



ENLISTED as 1st class Machinist Mate in the U.S.N.R. (Aviation), March 23, 1917. Trained at Palm Beach, Fla., and at Huntington, L.I. Received a Naval Aviator's certificate (No. 93) Aug. 31. Commissioned as Ensign Sept. 1, and sailed for France Sept. 23. Did aerial patrol and convoy work along the coast until June, 1918. Commissioned as Lieutenant (j.g.) March 23. Transferred to Italy for training in the Night Bombing Caproni land planes in June. Returned to France in Oct., and received the grade of Lieutenant, Oct. 31. Stationed at St. Inglevert, France, for night bombing work in connection with a British bombing squadron. Sailed for home Feb. 3, 1919, and was placed on inactive duty March 31.



ENTERED the U.S.N.R. March 24, 1917, and did duty at Newport, R.I., and New London, Conn., until Feb., 1918. Then transferred to U.S. Naval Aviation, and served at Akron, Ohio, and at Rockaway Beach, N.Y. Commissioned Ensign Sept. 20, 1918, and relieved from active duty March 4, 1919. {Report by H. H. Landon.]



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F. in May, 1917, and sailed for France in July on U.S.S. Guinevere. Transferred to U.S.S. Corona, and did convoy work along the French coast and in the English Channel. Commissioned Ensign in March, 1918, and served on U.S.S. Sigourney and U.S.S. Cummings, doing convoy duty for troopships. Arrived in the U.S. Jan. 19, and was relieved from active duty Feb. 1, 1919.



Sailed from New York July 23, 1917, as a Volunteer Driver in the A.F.S. Was assigned to Section 13. Joined the American Army Aug. 29, and served throughout the rest of the war as a Corporal in Section 631. This section worked in Champagne, at Verdun, at St. Mihiel, on the Somme, and on the Oise, with the 63rd, the 60th, and the 34th Divisions of French Infantry. Spent four months after the armistice studying at the University of Rennes. Mustered out of the Army at Camp Mills, July 18, 1919.



COMMISSIONED 1st Lieutenant, F.A., U.S.A., May 1, 1917, and placed on active duty May 15. At the first Plattsburg Camp during June, July and Aug., 1917. Served with the 301st Ammunition Train, 76th Division, during the whole period of the war. Did active service in France from July, 1918, to Jan., 1919. Discharged from the service May 4, 1919.



ENROLLED as Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., July 26, 1918, and was assigned to the office of Supervisor, Naval Overseas Transportation Service, 3rd Naval District, 45 Broadway, N.Y. Appointed Executive Assistant of the Logistic Data Board, Naval Overseas Transportation Service, 3rd Naval District. Released from active duty Feb. 14, 1919.



ENLISTED as Coxswain, Apr. 16, 1917, in the U.S.N.R.F. Served until June on U.S.S. Harvard, and then on U.S.S. Taniwha. Transferred in Sept. to U.S. Troop Transport Leviathan, and served aboard her until March, 1918; then transferred to European waters. Ordered to Naval Hq. in London; and in Aug. commissioned and attached to the Staff of the Commander of the U.S. Naval Forces in Europe, Admiral W.S. Sims, and served as a member of the Intelligence Section and Historical Section until March, 1919.



ATTENDED the Princeton R.O.T.C. in the winter of 1917-1918, and the Princeton Summer Camp from July 1 to Aug. 26, 1918. Enlisted and was accepted in the U.S. Marine Corps in Sept., 1918. Not called into service because of the signing of the armistice.



IN 1916 joined the Patrol Squadron organized to act as a Volunteer Naval Reserve. Enlisted March 16, 1917, at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, as a Coxswain in the Naval Reserve. Ordered to Newport, Hq. of the Second Naval District, in May, 1917. Promoted to Chief Yeoman in Apr., 1918, and to Ensign in Oct. Ordered to inactive duty Jan. 12, 1919, having served twenty-two months.



COMMISSIONED Captain in the Q.M.R.C., Remount Service, Nov. 28, 1917, and reported for duty at Kansas City, Mo. Bought animals for the Government until Apr., 1918, and then reported to Camp Sherman, Chillicothe, O., as Assistant to the Commanding Officer, Remount Depot 318. About June 6 reported as Casual Officer at Camp Merritt, was put in command of 1500 casual colored replacements, and took these to France, sailing June 23. Delivered the detachment at Rampont about July 27. Reported to the Remount Service at Tours, and was made Remount Officer, 3rd Army Corps, on the Vesle, Aug. 10. Remained in this position through the Oisne-Aisne campaign, the Meuse-Argonne, and the march to the Rhine. With the 3rd Army at Nieuwied, the American bridgehead, until ordered home the first week in June, 1919. Commissioned Major, Q.M.C., Remount Service, in Oct., 1918.



TRAINED two years in the Harvard R.O.T.C. During the first week of Oct., 1918, was sent to the Infantry Officers' School at Camp Lee, Va., 28th Company, 6th Training Battalion C.O.T.S. Demobilized early in Nov., 1918. Rank was that of a Private or a Candidate.



SAMUEL PIERCE MAYDELL, 2ND, the son of George S. and Emily (Proctor) Mandell, was born in Boston on the twentieth of March, 1897. He first attended Noble and Greenough's School, and entered St. Mark's in the Second Form in 1910. He graduated in 1915, and entered Harvard in the fall of the same year. In the summer of 1916 he trained with the Harvard Flying Corps at Ithaca, and in the middle of his sophomore year he left college to enlist at Newport News, March third, 1917, some time before the United States entered the war. Here he qualified as a Pilot, and was sent, on July the twenty-fifth, to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for ground work. After the completion of the course there, he went to Mineola, New York, when he received his commission as First Lieutenant on the fifth of November, 1917. He sailed overseas on the fifteenth of December.

After a tour of instruction and instructing at Issoudun, Tours, Clermont-Ferrand, Châteaudun, and Orly, he was on the thirtieth of August assigned to the 20th Aero Squadron, and the front. This Squadron was a part of the First Day Bombardment Group, America's first attempt at such work. He took part in the battle of St. Mihiel, where the Squadron received a citation for having "shown a devotion to duty and initiative which has not been exceeded by any troops on the front." He participated in seventeen raids, practically all that were made by the Squadron, and for this he and almost all of the original group who still survived were again cited, this time individually. His last flight was also the last American air raid of the war. It began on the morning of November fifth with Mouzon as the objective, and Mandell flew number three in the formation. His ship was put out of commission at the height of 12,000 feet in the air; but as it sank in great spirals he succeeded in righting it repeatedly until within 100 feet from the ground, when it crashed down into a small field near Martincourt. On the other side of a canal near by were German troops; but Mandell's observer, Lieutenant Fulton, who could easily have escaped, remained to extricate his companion from the wreckage. A German officer on the other bank ordered two soldiers across, and these, with first aid kits, cared for the injured man. In about twenty minutes the command came to march Fulton away, and Mandell was left propped up and still unconscious by the plane. The German officer, who spoke perfect English, promised to send medical aid if possible.

The rest of the story is gleaned from the inhabitants of the town. Some time later a German Captain of Infantry came along the bank. Looking over at the unconscious man he took a rifle from one of the guards and deliberately fired a number of shots into the helpless American, one bullet penetrating the brain. The Germans were now in retreat, and it was some time before a detachment of the Fifth Marines, in passing through the town, were notified. Mandell was buried where he fell, but arrangements were made for a reinterment, and he was later laid at rest in the little country churchyard on the hill nearly opposite.


Future St. Markers will be able to think of Mandell and his work with less distraction than we, who feel his death the more because of the manner of it. From their point of view, indeed, there may be something like historical suggestiveness in it, because of the glaring contrast it offers between young, generous, sportsmanlike American manhood, which saved the world, and the measureless cowardice which ruined Germany. It is our comfort and glory to remember that what Mandell and all our boys went out to fight was barbarism; that they knew it, knew its implications, and that their hearts were animated for what they did by this knowledge alone. The German creed has been driven from the earth; and it was driven by the power of that spirit which never shone more brightly than in Mandell.

In him the spirit was independent and persistent to the last degree. In many matters in which most boys grow up accepting traditions and customs as they find them, his attitude was one of cautious inquiry: he built his character as it were piece by piece, utterly unbiassed by the consent or the prejudice of his companions. This persistent caution never degenerated into obstinacy, and was always accompanied by an eagerness to hear all the evidence. The result was a healthy mental balance, a tolerant, half-humorous reserve, and a commanding will. These took their color from the open-air sportsmanship that determined his view of all activities, and both in the case of school athletics and classroom work ensured faithful effort and solid success.

But there was something beyond these things and beyond analysis. It came direct from the heart, and dispelled his apparent shyness like mist; it leaped to the slightest appeal, whatever that appeal might be.

The justice of his character, which made him strong and unfailing in the battles of life, became all at once a radiance of sympathy and service, kindled by responsiveness and love. If this makes the injustice of his death harder to bear, it also teaches why he so bravely went forth to face it.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant in the 12th N.Y. Infantry, N.G., July 27, 1917. Called into the Federal service Aug. 4. Left New York with the regiment for Camp Wadsworth Sept. 14. Transferred, upon the reorganization of the 27th Division, to the 108th U.S. Infantry, Oct. 1. Ordered to Washington for duty under the Chief of Staff in the Construction Division of the Army, Jan. 6, 1918. Promoted to Captain in the Q.M.C. March 15. Remained on duty with the Construction Division of the Army at Washington until discharged from the military service March 1, 1919.



ENTERED the Plattsburg Training Camp May 14, 1917. Commissioned Captain, F.A., U.S.R., Nov. 27. Stationed at Camp Meade, Md., with the 351st F.A., most of the time as Battery Commander of Battery E, from Dec. 15 to March 31, 1918. Stationed at the Lakehurst Experimental Grounds, Lakehurst, N.J., in charge of artillery operations in gas experimentation from Apr. 1 to Sept. 26. At the School of Fire, Fort Sill, Okla., from Sept. 29 to Dec. 7. With the F.A., C.O.T.S., Camp Zachary Taylor, as Instructor. Recommended by the Chief of F.A. and by the Director of Chemical Warfare for a commission as Major. Discharged Dec. 31, 1918. Commissioned as Major, F.A., O.R.C., Apr. 8, 1919.



MUSTERED into the Federal service July 15, 1917, as 1st Lieutenant in the 69th Infantry, N.G., N.Y., assigned to Company A. Left Camp Mills, L.I., for France Oct. 25. From March 1 to May 31, 1918, saw service in the Luneville and Baccarat sectors, and July 15-16 on the Champagne front. July 17 ordered home for assignment to a new division, with promotion to Captain. Aug. 15, assigned as Instructor, C.O.T.S., Camp Gordon, Ga. Discharged Dec. 16, 1918.



ENTERED the A.F.S. and went abroad in Apr., 1917. As a member of Section 29, did active work in the Verdun sector during the summer of 1917. Received the Croix de Guerre (à l'ordre de la division) in Aug. Resigned from the ambulance in Nov. Entered the French Army, and was sent to the Officers' School at Fontainebleau, Dec. 18. Graduated Apr. 15, 1918, as Aspirant, and joined the 16th Battery, 101st Regiment of Artillery. Took part in the Marne fighting in July, the Ourcq offensive July 18 and the Aisne offensive, west of Soissons, in Aug. Cited a second time (Croix de Guerre, ordre de la division) Aug. 28. In Sept. and Oct. held positions in Alsace. After the armistice, moved into Germany, and was stationed in the bridge-head north of Wiesbaden. Promoted to the grade of 2nd Lieutenant. Honorably discharged Mar. 18, 1919. The citations follow.

"A fait preuve comme conducteur volontaire d'une auto-sanitaire de beaucoup de courage et de sang-froid, particulièrement pendant les opérations de la côte 304, en août 1917, où les évacuations ont été faites sur une route vue de l'ennemi et violemment bombardée."

"Jeune aspirant américain servant sur sa demande dans l'Armée Française, s'est montré plein de courage au cours des attaques récentes. Le 28 août, chargé de contrôler un tir dont l'observation était particulièrement difficile, n'a pas craint de traverser le barrage ennemi et de se porter en un point particulièrement exposé pour pouvoir mieux remplir sa mission."



GEORGE ALEXANDER MCKINLOCK, JR., was born in Chicago on May the sixteenth, 1893, the son of George Alexander and Marion W. (Rappleye) McKinlock. He entered the Fay School in 1903, and St. Mark's two years later. He went to Harvard in 1912. He joined the Reserve Officers' Training Camp at Fort Sheridan in June, 1917; graduated in August of the same year; and received a commission as Second Lieutenant of Cavalry. Selected for service in France, he sailed on the Kroonland September twelfth, and arrived in October. He attended training schools at Gondrecourt and other places; was appointed on the staff of Major Davis, Second Brigade, Third Machine Gun Battalion, First Division, Liaison Officer, in February, 1918. He was called by General Buck to become a member of his staff as Intelligence Officer about April, 1918. He received no promotions, but had been recommended for a captaincy, and was killed before the recommendation could be acted upon, July 21, 1918. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm; the Distinguished Service Cross; and a recommendation for the latter a second time. His ribbon has two silver stars and two bronze stars. The recommendation for the Distinguished Service Cross was as follows:

"For exceptional gallantry under heavy bombardment and severe machine gun fire in proceeding along the front lines near Berzy-le-Sec to verify the position reports of the advanced locations of the front lines, and was killed while so doing."


McKinlock was at first reported missing, and it was some time before a fruitless search of the hospitals and the testimony of witnesses identified him with an American officer who had been seen to fall. Berzy-le-Sec had just been taken, and one hour later he was sent forward to verify the position of the front lines. According to the testimony of a chaplain, McKinlock had met French officers on a similar mission, and when walking with them in the town of Berzy was killed by a sniper. The other officers took cover, and later encountered the chaplain, to whom they related the occurrence, describing McKinlock with accuracy. The chaplain's search for his body that evening was unsuccessful; but some enlisted men informed him that a body had lain in the spot all day, and they believed an ambulance had carried it away. Several circumstances combined to throw uncertainty upon this account; but the final evidence, including reports from two French officers believed to be those whom he had joined, goes to establish its truth. He had been buried in a small garden in the town and his mother herself much later found the spot, marked by a cross, and an inscription to the "American soldier who had died gloriously for liberty." The chaplain, who is said to have been present at the burial, was himself killed shortly afterwards. Major-General Buck writes as follows at the end of one of his letters: "I need not tell you of the deep sorrow which fell upon me and the surviving members of my staff in the loss of Alexander McKinlock, who was loved by us all. I had selected him as a member of my staff on account of his splendid qualities and ability." "Such men are an asset to the Army and to the Nation." Splendid in qualities and ability and an asset to the Nation, is the formal estimate of McKinlock by his superior officer; and thus his memory will stand. But in the investigations due to the first uncertainty about his death, details of his conduct are brought to light which, while they sadden, are a source of abiding comfort and gratitude to his old School, who knew that he was splendid. In the advanced telephone-station of the Twenty-sixth Infantry, --- a little gully by the side of an unused road, which having been discovered by the enemy, was kept under heavy shell and shrapnel fire all day, -- he quietly crouches, hour after hour, defenceless; but we can almost see the characteristic raising of the eyebrows and the curling of the lip into a half smile, as he accumulates his information. From a quieter zone he confesses that "with the laying aside of gas mask and tin helmet the zest has gone out of things," and quotes a colored soldier's remark that "if it wan't for dis shellin' and boomin' dis wah would not be a bad place." He briefly remarks that he "spoke in the Y hut"; and then offers without comment his bit of evidence in regard to German brutality: "I saw and talked with a poor old woman who, together with her old husband, had had her eyes put out by the Huns in sheer, wanton brutality. The officers who had moved there shortly after the Hun retreat told me, and showed me pictures they had taken of the victims, and the worst you have read and heard do not tell the half." He "enjoys speaking and singing to our convalescents, but it breaks him all up to go through the wards and try to say encouraging things."

The love of him as he was at school comes back and mingles with the pain when we read these things, for we recognize and seem to see him in them all; strong, restless, affectionate, conscientious, humorous and serious at once; and we are thankful for his life, and for the smile we shall never see again, but which will in the days to come warm and strengthen in our hearts our faith in all that is untainted and honorable and true. For to him the School owes a debt which can be paid only as we recognize that nothing can ever be manly but what is also pure and straightforward and of good report. His brave record will perpetually tell those who come after us how he was "splendid in qualities and ability, and an asset to the Nation" when her need was sore; but the living memory alone can tell of the love we bore him.



ENTERED the 1st Plattsburg O.T.C. May 12, 1917. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry Aug. 15, and reported to Camp Upton, N.Y., Sept. 5. Placed in command of Company E, 308th Infantry, Sept. 16. Commissioned Captain of Infantry, Camp Upton, Dec. 31. Sailed with regiment to France Apr. 6, 1918, and was in foreign service from Apr. 19, 1918, to Apr. 21, 1919. Commissioned Major of Infantry at Brulon, France, Feb. 23, 1919. Mustered out of service at Camp Upton May 12, 1919. Took part in the following battles and engagements: Baccarat sector, June 21 to Aug. 4, 1918; Vesle sector, Aug. 11 to 18; Oise-Aisne offensive, Aug. 18 to Sept. 16; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Sept. 26 to Oct. 9; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Oct. 28 to Nov. 11, 1918. Received the following medals: U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor, Dec. 6, 1918; French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Apr. 13, 1919, Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor, May 5, 1919. Second-in-command to Major Charles W. Whittlesey of the "Lost Battalion," which was cut off and surrounded by the German forces in the Argonne forest for five days in Oct., 1918. This command was without food of any kind for over four days and nights, but held the position until relieved. The citation for the Congressional Medal follows.

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy at Charlevaux, in the Forest d'Argonne, France, 2-8 October, 1918.

"Captain McMurtry commanded a battalion which was cut off and surrounded by the enemy, and although wounded in the knee by shrapnel on 4 October and suffering great pain, he continued throughout the entire period to encourage his officers and men with a resistless optimism that contributed largely toward preventing panic and disorder among the troops, who were without food, cut off from communication with our lines. On 4 October during a heavy barrage, he personally directed and supervised the moving of the wounded to shelter before himself seeking shelter. On 6 October, he was again wounded in the shoulder by a German grenade, but continued personally to organize and direct the defence against the German attack on the position until the attack was defeated. He continued to direct and command his troops, refusing relief, and personally led his men out of the position after assistance arrived, before permitting himself to be taken to the hospital on 8 October. During this period the successful defence of the position was due largely to his efforts."

McMurtry was one of the eight Harvard University men who rendered distinguished service in the Great War selected by the Governing Boards for the Honorary Degree of Master of Arts. These Degrees were presented at Harvard University, June 19, 1919.



FROM June, 1916, to Nov., served with Battery A, 1st Mass. F.A. In May, 1917, at Plattsburg; commissioned 2nd Lieutenant F.A., O.R.C., and sailed Sept. 8. Joined the 7th F.A., 1st Division, Sept. 29, and served with them until discharged in June, 1919. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant as of Aug. 17, 1918. Wounded at Soissons, July 18, 1918. Twice cited (Dec. 14, 1918, and Aug., 1919), and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (order of Dec. 18, 1918). The citations follow.

"For extraordinary heroism in action near Very on October 4, 1918. He volunteered and took forward a gun to the aid of the infantry under most hazardous circumstances. Despite the loss of two horses and the wounding of several of his men, he continued until he encountered an enemy barrage, from which it was necessary to take cover. He exposed himself to the barrage on five different occasions to bring in wounded men."

"Second Lieutenant Lansing McVickar, 7th F.A., at Eglise Fontaine on October 4, 1918, and at Apremont on October 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 1918, as Executive Officer, repeatedly during heavy bombardment, by his coolness and disregard of personal safety, kept a high morale among his men, maintaining fine discipline and repeatedly enabling his Battery to perform difficult missions under great and unusual difficulty."



ARRIVED in France Dec. 16, 1917. Enlisted in the Norton-Harjes Ambulance in June. Captain in the A.R.C. Left Paris in May, 1919.



WITH the 12th Company at the 2nd Plattsburg Training Camp. In Nov., 1917, was made 1st Lieutenant in the A.S. Attended the S.M.A. at Champaign, Ill., and at Columbus, O. In March, 1918, Supply officer of the 654th Aero Squadron, Garden City, L.I., and Commanding Officer of the same squadron in Apr. Commanding Officer of the Henry J. Damm Field, Babylon, L.I., in June, 1918. In addition to military duties, built the field and established the post here, and then was ordered to Wantagh, L.I., for the same sort of work. Commanding Officer, Lufberry Field, Wantagh, L.I., in Aug., 1918. In Oct., 1918, relieved, to go overseas, and ordered to Garden City to await transportation. Made Captain in the A.S. Oct. 19, 1918. While awaiting shipment, was Commanding Officer and Military Instructor, Recruit Detachment, Hazelhurst Field, Mineola, L.I., in Nov. Commanding Officer of the 358th Aero Squadron at Mineola in Dec., 1918. Discharged Jan. 9, 1919.



JULY 22, 1918, graduated from the Engineers' School, Camp Humphreys, Va. Also graduated from the Gas and Flame School, Camp Kendricks, N.J. Commissioned Captain. Mustered out Dec. 11, 1918.



ENLISTED March 1, 1917, as Sergeant, Aviation Section, S.C. Trained at Miami, Fla., in the Aviation School until June 25, and was then commissioned 1st Lieutenant, Aviation Section, S.C. Ordered to France Aug. 15, and sailed Sept. 11 for Paris in charge of a Cadet detachment. Stationed at Issoudun, France, from Oct. to Apr., 1918, and Apr. 16 was ordered to join the 95th Aero Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, operating in the Toul sector. Remained with this squadron until after the armistice. Engaged in the following battles: Toul sector, May and June; Château-Thierry and Aisne River (Fismes), July and Aug.; St. Mihiel and Argonne, Sept. and Oct. Promoted to Captain Oct. 15, and assumed command of the 95th Squadron. The Squadron was demobilized Dec. 10. Arrived in the U.S. Feb. 14, and was discharged Feb. 16, 1919. Received the French Croix de Guerre with Palm, awarded in Nov. by the French 6th Army for work on the Toul sector in May, 1918; and in Dec. the American Distinguished Service Cross for work on the Toul sector May 27, 1918. Credited with the destruction of four enemy planes in combat according to official credits in the A.E.F. at the close of the war. The citation for the Distinguished Service Cross follows.

"Mitchell, Capt. John, Manchester 95th Aero Squadron, for extraordinary heroism in action near Beaumont, France, May 27, 1918. Seeing three enemy planes flying east over Apremont at 2500 meters, Capt. Mitchell unhesitatingly attacked the three machines, which were in close formation, despite the fact that a fourth, hovering above, threatened to close in and join the enemy formation. He succeeded in shooting down the enemy machine, which proved to be a biplane returning from an important mission."

The French citation was for bringing down an enemy plane behind the German lines on the Toul sector, May 26, 1918.



ENTERED the R.O.T.C., Plattsburg Barracks, N.Y., June 5, 1918. Five weeks later entered the S.A.T.C. at the same place, and was made Acting 2nd Lieutenant of a training company. Commissioned in Sept., and assigned to the Replacement Unit, Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill. Soon transferred to the 161st Depot Brigade, Camp Grant, and thence in Oct. to the Camp Intelligence section. There when discharged in Dec., 1918.



ENTERED the service Oct. 5, 1918, and was assigned to the Central M.G.O.T.S., at Camp Hancock, Ga., ranking as a Private. Discharged at Camp Hancock Nov. 25, before the completion of the course.



APPLIED for a captaincy of Engineers, R.C., about Dec., 1916, and was examined in Feb., 1917. Entered the 1st O.T.C. at Plattsburg May 8. May 20 was asked by Major (later Lieutenant-Colonel) Henry S. Graves, Chief of the U.S. Forest Service, to accompany him to France to prepare for the arrival of the 10th Engineers (Forestry) which was being sent at the special request of the British government to cut from French forests lumber and other wood materials urgently needed by the British Army at the front. Commissioned Captain of Engineers, R.C., May 29; sailed June 9; arrived in Bordeaux June 18. Reached Paris June 20, and with Major Graves was attached to the staff of Chief of Engineers, Colonel (later Brigadier-General) Taylor, being made responsible for supplying lumber and wood needed by the A.E.F. Found wood to be a prime military necessity, and the situation of the A.E.F. critical for lack of it, owing to the submarines' preventing importation, and to shortage in the French and British Armies. From June to Aug., assisted Major Graves in planning the organization of 18,000 troops to supply the needs of the A.E.F. in wood. Acquired standing timber in advance of the arrival of these troops, and whatever ready cut material could be borrowed or purchased from the French and British Armies. From Sept. to Feb., 1918, continued the acquisition of standing timber, and, as member of the Inter-Allied War Wood Committee, leased French sawmills. In March wood purchases of the A.E.F. in Europe were centralized under the General Purchasing Agent, Brigadier-General, then Colonel, Charles G. Dawes, by General Order 8, S.O.S., of Mar. 5. Was given charge of this centralization as Chief of the Wood Section under the General Purchasing Agent. From March to Oct., acquired lumber and other wood materials for the A.E.F. from France, Switzerland, Portugal, Great Britain and Scandinavian countries, to supplement that produced from French forests by the Forestry Troops, the 10th and 11th Engineers. Sept. 19, promoted to Major. Oct. 20, sailed for Washington to represent the A.E.F. in negotiations with Switzerland for lumber; under orders to return to France upon the completion of the mission. The armistice rendered the lumber unnecessary. Honorable discharge received Dec. 13. Apr. 4, 1919, awarded the Cross of the Legion of Honor by the French Government.



MADE Captain of Infantry, O.R.C., Nov. 8, 1916. Ordered to active duty May 13, 1917, and sent to the R.O.T.C. at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Reassigned to the 2nd Training Camp, and remained there until Nov. 4, when ordered to Camp Gordon and placed in command of the M.G. Company, 328th Infantry, 82nd Division. Placed in command of the 321st M.G. Battalion in June, 1918, and promoted to Major in July. Made Acting Division M.G. Officer in Sept., 1918, and Nov. 7 was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, and made Division M.G. Officer. Served with the 82nd Division in the Lagny and Marbache sectors, and in the St. Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne operations. Transferred to Paris in Dec., attached to the American Commission to Negotiate Peace, and assigned as Aide to Commissioner E. M. House. Discharged July 29, 1919.



SERVED with the Aviation; passed examinations as a Cadet, and was sent to a flying field at Dallas, Tex. Taken ill, and remained in the hospital six months. Mustered out with honorable discharge Nov. 22, 1918.



ATTENDED the Plattsburg Training Camp, and received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant dated Aug. 15, 1917. Assigned to Company M, 302nd Infantry, at Camp Devens, Mass., and promoted to 1st Lieutenant Jan. 1, 1918. Sailed with the organization from New York July 4, 1918, and stopped at Liverpool, Winchester, Southampton, Havre and Bordeaux. Assigned to the S.O.S. at Le Courneau for construction work, and sent to the Gas School at Chaumont for a week. Rejoined the 76th Division Oct. 10 at St. Amand for training replacements. When the 76th Division was broken up about Nov. 1, was assigned to the 163rd Infantry, 41st Division. Transferred to Company E, 311th Infantry, 78th Division, about Jan. 10, 1919. Sailed with the organization from Bordeaux May 10. Landed at Newport News, and was discharged at Boston June 3, 1919.



ENTERED the service Aug. 5, 1917, with the 15th Infantry, N.G., N.Y., as Major, 2nd Battalion. The designation of the Regiment was changed after arrival in the sector at the front to 369th Infantry. Served with the Regiment as part of the 4th French Army from March 6 to June 9. Base Provost Marshal, Base 1, until July 16; Assistant to Provost Marshal General in charge of leave areas, prisoners of war and military police until Sept. 30. In charge of German Officers' Prison Camp at Richelieu from Sept. 30 until ordered home Dec. 26, 1918. Arrived in the U.S. Feb. 1, 1919. At Camp Dix as Executive of Officers' Discharge Centre until muster-out, Sept. 20, 1919.



ENTERED the F.A., C.O.T.S., at Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., Nov. 7, 1918, and was honorably discharged after the signing of the armistice, Dec. 7, 1918.



RICHARD MORTIMER, JR., the son of Richard and Eleanor Jay Mortmer, was born in Carlsbad, Germany, on the twenty-sixth of July, 1888. He attended the Fay School, and entered St. Mark's with the First Form in the class of 1907. He excelled in several forms of athletics, being a football player, a boxer, and a track man. He graduated in three years from Harvard College, with the class of 1910, and afterwards from the Law School, where he did creditable work and graduated with distinction. His greatest recreation was riding, and he became well known for his skill and fearlessness in steeplechase and on the hunting field. Before the United States entered the war he planned to take part in whatever way he could be of most use, but because of poor eyesight he was several times refused admission to active service.

He enlisted in 1917 in the Aviation Section, Signal, Corps, and was sent to the School of Military Aeronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In August, 1917, he sailed for England, and there attended aviation schools. He was commissioned First Lieutenant, Aviation Section, Signal Corps, on the twenty-fifth of March, 1918, and detailed to Ferrying; that is, taking new planes from England across the Channel. In May, 1918, he was assigned to a squadron in France, and on May the twenty-second he was killed while practising manoeuvres. He was buried in an Allied-American cemetery near Hesdin Wood, in the north of France.


The charm of Mortimer's personality secured him friends not only among his contemporaries, but among older people as freely, because of the modesty and candor which never sought praise or popularity. Never unfair in his judgment of others, and modest in his own opinions, he was as a boy easily aroused to indignation at any form of injustice and prompt to rebel against it; but he never confused it with hard or unpleasant duty. To a quick perception, ready intellect and quiet, keen wit, he brought the steady application and industry which assured him success in his undertakings. To him honor and truth were the very foundation stones of character, and fearlessness but the preliminary test of a gentleman. Generous and sportsmanlike in the truest sense, knightly in courage and courtesy, he was irresistibly drawn to the brilliant and perilous service in war that best answered to the delights of his beloved horsemanship, perhaps because of its very danger. But he brought wholesomeness and grace to every company and to every duty, and he did this less by the effect of his powers than by the indescribable influence of what he was.

And beneath everything, unknown perhaps to those who saw him but casually, was a sweetness of disposition seldom found in either man or woman; a responsive, eager sympathy and optimism which made his mere presence a privilege and a benediction. His school and his college and his country may honor him for his brave heart and his loyal devotion; but in the hearts of his friends alone lies the most precious gift and memory of all, the spirit of a love which can never fail.



MAY 22, 1918, enlisted as a Private in the Regulars, Infantry, at Fort Slocum, N.Y. June 8, transferred to Camp Merritt, N.J. July 5, sailed from Hoboken with the Panama Recruit Company to Colon, Canal Zone, and in Aug. was assigned to Company K, 33rd Infantry, as a Private. Dec. 1, promoted to Corporal, and served at Camp Gaillard, C.Z. (Culebra), and Balboa, C.Z. Feb. 18, 1919, discharged as Corporal, and sent home from Colon.



FROM May to Aug., 1917, Assistant to the Director of Chapters, A.R.C., National Hq., Washington, D.C. From Aug., 1917, to Jan., 1918, Inspector, A.R.C. Commission to Great Britain, with the rank of 1st Lieutenant; Hq., London, England. From June to Sept., 1918, Assistant to Director, Speakers' Bureau, Atlantic Division, A.R.C., New York, N.Y.



JOINED the A.A.F.S. May 6, 1916. Assigned to Section 3, and served at Verdun, Pont-à-Mousson and Monastir. Entered the French Artillery School, at Fontainebleau, June 8, 1917, as a Private in the Foreign Legion, detached to the 32nd Artillery. Appointed Aspirant (cadet), Sept. 3, and detached as Instructor to the American Artillery School, Saumur. Dec. 14, assigned to the 89th Regiment of Artillery, and served with them in Alsace in Jan., 1918; on the Somme in Apr. and May; Marne-Château-Thierry in June and July; on the Somme in Aug.; the Aisne in Aug.; and Champagne-Argonne in Sept., Oct., and Nov. Commissioned Sous-Lieutenant May 15, 1918. Cited in order of the 57th Division, Army of the Orient, in Jan., 1917, and received the Croix de Guerre with Silver Star. Discharged Feb. 7, 1919, in Paris. Received the Médaille du Service Bénévole in June, 1919. The Croix de Guerre citation follows.

"Volontaire de la Section Sanitaire Américaine 3, se distingue en toute occasion par un sang-froid et une intrépidité parfaite; en particulier, devant Verdun en juin 1916 sous le feu immédiat et continuel de l'artillerie ennemie ---en Lorraine, où il fut l'objet d'une lettre de félicitations pour le dévouement avec lequel il vint secourir les blessés en plein bombardement de Pont-à-Mousson le 29 juillet 1916 --- enfin à Monastir en décembre 1916-janvier, 1917."

Neilson to Strong