Albert E. Benson
Saint Mark's School in the War against Germany



COMMISSIONED 1st Lieutenant, Engineer Corps, at Plattsburg Barracks, Aug. 15, 1917; promoted to Captain May 17, 1918. Served as Chief of Dissemination Section G-2, General Hq., A.E.F., from Nov. 22, 1917, to Dec. 2, 1918. Thence to the Peace Conference until March 17, 1919; was sent as Military Observer through Poland and adjacent countries; and then assigned to the American Relief Administration and sent to Armenia. Discharged Sept. 25 in Tiflis, Russia. Received the British Military Cross, and an American citation for "exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous service."



ENLISTED in the Yale S.A.T.C. in September, 1918. Demobilized the last of Dec., 1918. [Report by Edith B. Taylor.]


✠ MOSES TAYLOR, JR., 1916.

MOSES TAYLOR, JR., the son of Moses Taylor and Edith Bishop Taylor, was born at Babylon, Long Island, on the eighth of June, 1897, He entered the Second Form at St. Mark's in 1910, and graduated in 1916. He was very active in all forms of athletics, and played on the baseball and football teams. When military training was started in the autumn of 1914, his unusual aptitude and ability gained him the rank of Captain in Company A. After taking his examinations for Yale, and the day after he left St. Mark's, he enlisted in the First Massachusetts Field Artillery, and served until late in the autumn on the Mexican border. On his return he entered Norwich University, feeling convinced that the United States would shortly enter the war; and from there was recommended to the Officers' Training Camp at Plattsburg in May, 1917. He was commissioned a temporary Second Lieutenant in the Regular army, and assigned at once to the Ninth United States Infantry, sailing for France in the Second Division in September. In October the temporary commission was made permanent, and he was promoted to First Lieutenant. In France he was in continuous action from December until the time of his death, March twenty-fourth, 1918. The following account is from the reports of his fellow-officers.


In the evening of the twenty-third, Taylor, who was regarded as one of the most skilful at the work, gathered volunteers for a raid in No Man's Land. There were twenty in all, and the objective was a mill in which the Germans had several machine-guns. Armed with pistols and hand-grenades, with Taylor in command, they went over the top at two in the morning and crept towards the German lines, eight hundred yards away. Taylor was in the lead with another lieutenant, and the others followed twenty yards behind. Before coming to the mill they had to cross a small stream. Leaping over this, the three lieutenants then in the lead crawled on their hands and knees into a field of old corn-stalks. In crawling over these they made some noise, and believing that they would make less by walking, they arose, and had walked twenty yards when Taylor saw what appeared like a freshly-dug hole, which he started forward to investigate. The others pointed their pistols at it, and were close upon it when a German jumped up and fired at Taylor, who fell. At the same moment one of Taylor's companions shot the German in the head; but as this was happening a number of others emerged from a trench a short distance away, and came across shooting and throwing hand-grenades. An attempt was made to recover Taylor's body, but a barrage had been laid down, and it was not until two weeks later that his company took the trench, capturing fifty Germans and killing over sixty. It afterwards transpired that he did not die at once, but was brought into Relaincourt, where he died soon after his arrival. He was buried in the local cemetery at Vigneulles. The uniform testimony from his brother officers is that there was no finer officer in the service than he, and none more beloved for bravery and devotion to his men.

Taylor's ability as an officer, to which emphatic testimony is given by all his comrades as well as by his record, is everywhere associated with his constant solicitude for the comfort and amusement of his men, one of whom says, "He was like a father to us." Taylor recognized but one path of appeal to his fellow-men, through the heart; and in this his every experience from his youth up justified him, for everybody loved him. His devotion to his men was foreshadowed by his generosity of character, big-heartedness and loyalty at school; and his natural, manly honesty and frankness were developed through maturity into the ordered resourcefulness and soldierly fearlessness of the "best man at the work in No Man's Land." Because of this honesty and fearlessness, and the love which came to him as his natural right, it is bitter indeed for us to think of him as we knew him, joyful, bright-eyed, affectionate, dying in the hospital among his country's enemies; but though he said when he went abroad that he did not expect to return, this is less prophetic of a hard fate than of the consummated life of that generous spirit which was never afraid.



ENLISTED June 22, 1918, in Hq. Troop, 76th Division, and sailed for France July 2. Promoted to Corporal Aug. 20, and to Sergeant Aug. 29. Transferred to the 301st M.G. Battalion, Prisoner of War Guard Company; attached to the Peace Conference; and finally transferred to the Courier Service. Landed in America July 12, 1919.



AT the 1st Plattsburg R.O.T.C. from May 12 to Aug. 15, 1917, and commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Infantry Aug. 15. Served with the 303rd Infantry, 76th Division, from Sept., 1917, to Nov., 1918, and sailed overseas July 8, 1918.Casual, Nov. 8, 1918, to Jan. 1, 1919. Aide-de-Camp to Brigadier-General Poore, 7th Infantry Brigade, 4th Division, from Jan. 5 to May 1, 1919. Sailed for the U.S.A. May 20, as Casual. Landed at Newport News June 1, and was discharged at Camp Lee, Va., June 3, 1919.



INDUCTED into the S.A.T.C. at Amherst College, Amherst, Mass., Oct. 10, 1918.. Transferred to the 36th Company, C.O.T.S., Camp Lee, Va., Nov. 10; and to the 41st Company, C.O.T.S., Camp Lee, Nov. 20. Discharged at Camp Lee Feb. 15, 1919, as a Private, Infantry Replacement Troops, and commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, R.C., U.S.A.



ENTERED the Harvard S.A.T.C. as a Private, Oct. 15, 1918, and was discharged Dec. 6, 1918.



ENTERED the service in June, 1916, at the time of the Mexican border crisis, as a Private in Battery A, 1st F.A., Mass. N.G. In May, 1917, transferred to the Aviation Section, S.R.C. Trained at the Boston Technology Ground School, and at the Mt. Clemens, Mich., Flying School. Commissioned in Nov. at Mineola, L.I., and went in Dec. as 1st Lieutenant, U.S.A.S., to the flying school at Lake Charles, La. Sailed for overseas March 3, 1918. Trained in France at the flying school at Issoudun. Went to the front and served as a Pilot from June 7 until the armistice with the 12th Aeró Squadron, 1st Observation Group, as follows: June 7 to 30, Baccarat sector, Alsace, with the 42nd and 77th Divisions; June 30 to mid-Aug., Château-Thierry drive; Sept., St. Mihiel drive; Sept.-Oct., Meuse-Argonne offensive. Flight Commander in the 12th Aero Squadron. In the middle of Oct., transferred to the 95th Aero Squadron, which was a pursuit squadron. Served as a Pilot in this from Oct. 15 to Nov. 11, 1918. Received a citation from the U.S. Army, dated Sept. 13, 1918, as follows:

"For gallantry in action near St. Mihiel, France, 13 September, 1918, while on a reconnoissance."



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant at Plattsburg, Aug. 15, 1917, and assigned to the 151st Depot Brigade, Camp Devens, Mass. Transferred to the Officers' School Jan. 5, 1918, and to the 301st Sanitary Train July 1. Sailed for overseas July 11. Joined the 301st Infantry Nov. 1 and the Prisoner of War Escort Company Dec. 1. Discharged July 15, 1919.



ENLISTED in the U.S. Marine Corps, July 14, 1918, as a Private. July 14 to Sept. 15, attached to Company 246, Marine Barracks, Paris Island, S.C. Sept. 15 to Oct. 10, attached to Company F, 11th Regiment, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Va., and from Oct. 10 to Dec. 4, to the Barracks Detachment, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Va. From Sept. 23 to Oct. 24, ill at the Base Hospital, Quantico, Va. Dec. 4 to Aug. 7, 1919, attached to the Supply Detachment, Quantico, Va. Appointed Sergeant Apr. 19, Quartermaster Sergeant May 29, and discharged as Quartermaster Sergeant Aug. 7, 1919.



SEPT. 10, 1918, enlisted as a Private in the Infantry, 20th Company, 5th Battalion, C.O.T.S., Camp Lee, Va. Discharged Nov. 23, 1918.



Ensign in the U.S. Naval Aviation Forces; Executive Officer in the Naval Aviation Ground School, Mass. Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.; Personnel Officer and Patrol Pilot at the Naval Air Station, Hampton Roads, Va.



ENLISTED in Company K, N.Y.N.G., Apr. 11, 1917. Enlisted as a Private of the 1st class, A.S., S.C., July 1. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, A.S.A., Reserve Military Aviator, Feb. 1, 1918. Stations and posts were as follows: Princeton Ground School; Hazelhurst Field; Gerstner Field; Camp Dick; Ellington Field; Taliaferro Field; Ellington Field. Held command of the 189th U.S. Aero Squadron. Honorably discharged March 1, 1919.



ENTERED the R.O.T.C., San Francisco, May 12, 1917. Commissioned Captain, F.A., U.S.N.A., Aug. 15, and ordered to the 91st Division, Camp Lewis, Washington. Transferred to the 35th Division, Camp Doniphan, Okla., Sept. 10. At the School of Fire for F.A., Fort Sill, Okla., from Oct. 1 to Dec. 23. Attached to Hq., 60th F.A. Brigade, Camp Doniphan, Jan. 1, 1918. Commissioned Major, F.A., March 29, and assigned to the 130th Regiment, F.A. Sailed from New York May 19. In action, Gerardmer sector, Vosges, from Aug. 15 to 31, in command of 1st Battalion, 130th F.A. Assumed command of the 130th F.A. as Major Sept. 2. In reserve at St. Mihiel from Sept. 10 to 15; in action in Argonne Sept. 25 to Oct. 2; in action near Verdun Oct. 17 to Nov. 11. Commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel Oct. 26. Commissioned Colonel (temporary), F.A., March 23, 1919, and to command the 130th F.A., having relinquished command Nov. 9, 1918. Sailed from Brest for home Apr. 13, 1919. Discharged from the service Apr. 29, 1919.



COMMISSIONED 1st Lieutenant, S.C., Oct. 31, 1917, assigned to Aero Squadron 80. Sailed for France, Nov. 22, 1917. Engaged in construction work from Dec. 6 to May, 1918. Assigned to special work with the Intelligence Service, G-2, from May, 1918, to Apr., 1919. Returned to the U.S.A., and was honorably discharged March 4, 1919.



ATTENDED the 1st Plattsburg Camp from May to Aug., 1917; commissioned Captain, F.A., in Aug.; commanded Hq. Company, 306 F.A., 77th Division, at Camp Upton from Sept., 1917, to Apr., 1918, and left for France with regiment and company in Apr., 1918. Attended the artillery training course with the regiment at Camp de Songe, in France, in May and June, 1918. Assigned to duty on the staff of the Chief of Artillery, 1st Army, in June; 1st Corps, in July; 1st Army, re-assigned, in Aug., 1918. In Sept., 1918, assigned to liaison duty with a group of French escadrilles during the St. Mihiel offensive. From Sept. to Jan., 1919, on duty on the staff of the Chief of Artillery, 1st Army; and from Jan. reassigned to duty with the 306th F.A., 77th Division. In Apr., 1919, honorably discharged from service in France. Took part in the following engagements: Marne-Aisne offensive, July-Aug., 1918; St. Mihiel offensive in Sept.; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Sept.-Nov.



ENLISTED July 5, 1917, as an Apprentice Seaman, U.S.N.R.F., and did coast patrol duty on S.P. 602 until Feb. 1, 1918. Made Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Feb. 1. At the O.T.S., U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., from Feb. 1 to June 1. Served on U.S.S. Pennsylvania as Ensign (temporary), U.S.N., until Sept. 13; on U.S.S. Montgomery; and on Destroyer 121 on escort duty, from Sept. 13 to Dec. 16. Made Lieutenant (j.g.) (temporary), Nov. 1. Resigned Dec. 16, 1918.



COMMISSIONED Nov. 27, 1917, as 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry, N.A., O.R.T.C. Transferred to the Remount Service, and bought horses in Kentucky; and served at the Remount Depot, Camp Shelby, Miss., as Assistant to the Remount Officer. Sailed in June, 1918. Served as Assistant Remount Officer, Remount Depot, Selle-sur-Cher; Assistant to Remount Officer, Advanced Section, 1st Army, 1st Corps; Remount Officer, 77th Division. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant in Oct., 1918. Returned to the U.S. and was discharged in Feb., 1919.



ENLISTED as a Private in Squadron A, N.Y. Cavalry, May 14, 1917. Transferred to the A.S., and sent to the ground school at Austin, Tex., Nov. 16; commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant, A.S., and qualified as Pilot, March 26, 1918; and was assigned as Instructor in aerial bombardment Aug. 6. Discharged from the service Jan. 9, 1919.



ENLISTED in the First O.T.C. at Plattsburg, May 12, 1917. Commissioned Captain of Cavalry, N.A., Aug. 15. Assigned to Company B, 305 M.G. Battalion, Sept. 5. Commissioned Captain of Infantry, N.A., Dec. 15, the previous commission being withdrawn. Sailed March 28, 1918; arrived in England Apr. 10, and in France Apr. 11. Arrived in the U.S. Apr. 24, 1919, and was discharged May 10. Took part in the following battles, etc.: Baccarat sector, Vesle sector, Oise-Aisne offensive, Meuse-Argonne offensive.



ENLISTED in the U.S. Army Aug. 29, 1918, at Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., and was assigned there to the F.A., C.O.T.S. Graduated Dec. 11, 1918, and was honorably discharged from the service.



ENTERED the 1st O.T.C. at Fort Niagara, N.Y., May 12, 1917. Commissioned 1st-Lieutenant, F.A., O.R.C., Aug. 15. Assigned to Hq. Company, 311th F.A., 79th Division, Camp Meade, Md., Aug. 27. Assigned to duty with the General Staff, in the office of the Assistant Secretary of War, Feb. 1, 1918. Commissioned Major, U.S.A., Feb. 18. Sailed for France July 4, and was assigned to duty with G-2, General Hq., A.E.F. Returned to the U.S. Oct. 25, and was discharged Dec. 30, 1918.



COMMISSIONED as Lieutenant (j.g.), U.S.N.R.F., in the latter part of March, 1917, called to active service Apr. 9, 1917, and ordered to command U.S.S. S.P. 56. In command of this patrol boat until July 20. The boat during this time was in service in the 2nd Naval District, and also attached to the Atlantic Fleet, Squadron 2, Nantucket Patrol. July 20, transferred to the command of the Block Island Section, 2nd Naval District, and Nov. 17 to the command of the New London Section, 2nd Naval District. In Feb., 1918, the New London Section, in common with other naval activities at New London, became a part of the Naval District Base at New London. Continued in charge of the Patrol Section at that base until July 17; was then detached and ordered to report to the Commander of the U.S. Naval Force operating in European waters for duty in connection with submarine-chasers; this transfer being made at the request of the Commander of the Naval District Base at New London, who himself received similar orders. Remained on duty with Submarine-chaser Detachment 3 in Queenstown, Ireland, from Aug., 1918, until Nov. 25, when the Submarinechaser Detachment was disbanded. Then obtained orders to return to the U. S. Sept. 21, promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, Class 2, U.S.N.R.F. Dec. 30, 1918, placed on inactive duty, but still holding a commission as Lieutenant in the U.S.N.R.F.



MAY 9, 1917, went into active service in command of U.S.S. Tarantula (S.P. 124) at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and was assigned to patrol duty in the waters of District 6, performing convoy duty, etc. Remained in command of this ship until Oct. 1. Then given temporary leave of absence to resume duties of Vice-President of the New York Central Lines, and a few months later was elected President of these Lines. Acted in this capacity during the remainder of the war.



ENLISTED as a Private in the Med. C. Sept. 3, 1917. Sailed for France Oct. 3, arrived in England Oct. 17, and in France Oct. 22. Attached to Base Hospital 2, B.E.F., until May, 1918; then transferred to Mobile Hospital 2, A.E.F. Took part in the following engagements: against the last German offensive, Champagne sector, July 14 to 18, 1918; Marne offensive, July 18 to 29; St. Mihiel offensive, Sept. 12 to 17; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Sept. 26 to Nov. 11. Served with the Army of Occupation in Trier, Dec. 6 to 20. Arrived in the U.S. Feb. 3, 1919, and was discharged at Camp Meade, Feb. 17.



JOHN BRODHEAD VAN SCHAICK, the son of the late Jenkins Van Schaick, was born on the thirteenth of March, 1865. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy and St. Mark's, the latter from 1877 to 1880. He was a graduate of Jesus College, Cambridge, England, and of the Harvard Law School. He became a member of the late banking firm of Van Schaick and Company, and was a member of the New York Stock Exchange.

At the outbreak of the war he sailed for France, on the twelfth of December, to enter the Ambulance Corps organized by Eliot Norton. He was stationed until June, 1915, north of Compiègne, where he saw much service during the first year as an Ambulance Attendant, bringing in the wounded from the front. It was at this time that Mrs. Chauncey Depew, Jr., the late Mrs. Trenor L. Park, whose husband was a St. Mark's graduate, gave up her château just outside of Paris for an American hospital. Mrs. Van Schaick served here as a Red Cross Nurse until ill health obliged her to return to America. The next year Van Schaick went to Belgium with the Relief Service under Mr. Hoover. At Antwerp his services were acknowledged with the highest honors, amongst which were the gift of the Key of the City and a set of embossed resolutions, together with a gold medal, from the Mayor and the Common Council, for valiant and efficient services rendered. When driven from the city by the Germans, he was forced to return to America in September, 1916. Here he devoted his time to Relief Commission work and to the Red Cross.

When the United States entered the war he left no stone unturned to obtain a place in the service of his country; but because of his age he was repeatedly disappointed, until at last he offered himself to the Red Cross. He was promptly accepted; obtained his commission in April, 1918; and was sent overseas to Italy. In March he joined the French, and served with them until the armistice. He was then transferred to the American Expeditionary Force, and started into Germany with the Twelfth Machine Gun Battalion, marching on foot. He was soon stricken with influenza, but continued his march for four days longer. Then, on the fourth of December, he was sent back to Treves, Germany, suffering from dilatation of the heart, and died on the eleventh of December, 1918, at the age of fifty-four. He was buried in a cemetery in the city of Treves.


Van Schaick, the oldest of our graduates in the service, was of course not known personally as a St. Mark's boy to any of the present members of the community. The time will soon come when this will be true of all who represented our School in the war against Germany, and when the love and gratitude of their companions here must give place to the changeless records which they have made for the School. And Van Schaick's record not only speaks for itself, but in a certain sense for all; it corroborates our pride in our boys, telling in certain tones what power it was that formed them for loyalty and service. In full vigor and prosperity, far beyond the formal claim of his country's call and long before she issued it, he chose to abide by no such circumstances, and marched forth with the Young Men in the hour of her need, until the last sacrifice was laid upon her altar. As we look upon what he has done our hearts go out to him, and claim him as one of us with a deeper pride than we have ever known before; and as the graduate returns to his school and loves the new young wearers of the blue and white, so our love goes, with our reverence and our gratitude, to this St. Mark's boy of former years in whom the spirit could never fail.



ENLISTED in Battery D, 1st Mass. F.A., June 23, 1916. Stationed at El Paso, Tex., from July 1 to Oct. 1. Discharged in Feb., 1917, to join the Harvard R.O.T.C. Enlisted May 3, 1917, in Company C, 101st Engineers, 26th Division. Promoted to Corporal in June. Sailed for France in Sept. Served at the Toul front from Apr. to the end of June, 1918; at Château-Thierry in July; at St. Mihiel in Sept.; and at Verdun in Oct., and until the armistice in Nov. Transferred to Hq. Company, 102nd F.A., 26th Division, in Oct., returning to the grade of Private. Returned to the U.S. in Apr., 1919, and was discharged with the Division at Camp Devens.



ENROLLED in the U.S.N.R. Apr. 16, 1917, with the rating of Chief Boatswain's Mate, and was stationed at Newport, R.I. Commissioned as Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Nov. 28. On board U.S.S. Seattle, doing convoy duty, from Dec. 1917 until Apr., 1918; then ordered to the Philippine Islands. Received appointment as Ensign (temporary) U.S.N., June 1, and as Lieutenant (j.g.) (temporary), U.S.N. Sept. 21, 1918. Resignation accepted and effective July 14, 1919.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry in Oct., 1911. Did duty with the 25th Infantry as Company Officer and Battalion Q.M.C. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant of Infantry in July, 1916, and did staff duty. Promoted to Captain of Infantry in May, 1917, and did duty with the 42nd Infantry. Promoted to Major of Infantry in June, 1918, on duty with the 153rd Depot Brigade. Transferred to the 807th Pioneer Infantry in Aug., and served with them in the MeuseArgonne offensive. Transferred in Feb., 1919, and assigned as Executive Officer, A.E.F., at the University of Beaune, Côte d'Or, until June. Awarded the decoration of "Officier Instruction Publique" by the French Government. Now [Dec. 9, 1919] on duty with the War Plans Division, General Staff, Washington, D.C.



COMMISSIONED 2nd Lieutenant of Cavalry in Aug., 1917, and assigned to the M.G. Company, 117th Infantry, U.S.A., in Sept. Arrived in France in May, 1918. Promoted to 1st Lieutenant of Infantry, U.S.A., Nov. 7, 1918. Took part in all the engagements participated in by the 30th Division, which were as follows: in Belgium, Ypres (Canal sector), Aug. 31 to Sept. 2, 1918; in France, the battle of Bellicourt, Sept. 29 to Sept. 30; the battle of Montbrehain, Oct. 8 to Oct. 11; and the battle of La Selle River, Oct. 17 to Oct. 20. In these engagements the advance was so rapid and the regiment was withdrawn so soon that there was never an opportunity to count, collect or salvage the great number of guns and the tremendous amount of stores captured. A partial check shows that the division captured the following: 72 field artillery pieces, 26 trench mortars, 426 machine-guns, and 1,792 rifles. The total number of men cited in General Orders for extraordinary bravery in action, to Feb. 1, was 411. There were 56 British decorations awarded, and 189 American. Returned to the U.S. in April, 1919. The citation for the Military Cross, awarded by the British Government, is as follows:

"On 29th Sept., 1918, this officer as Transport Officer of the Machine Gun Company 117th Inf., displayed a loyal devotion to duty by taking water and hot food to his Company located in the line near Bellicourt, although subjected to heavy shell fire and aeroplane bombing. On the 8th to 9th of October, 1918, he got water and hot food to his Company, north of Montbrehain before nightfall, which greatly cheered and stimulated the men who had to go over the top again on the morning of the 9th. He was untiring in his efforts to get all the comforts possible for the men."



COMMISSIONED Aug. 1, 1918, as Captain, Company E, 57th Engineers, and served in the A.E.F. for nearly a year. Discharged July 19, 1919. Previous military experience, Spanish War, Battery A, 1st Conn. F.A.



ENLISTED at Boston, Apr. 4, 1917, and entered active service July 1, as a Seaman of the 2nd class, assigned to the Naval Air Station at Pensacola, Fla. Received a Pilot's license Sept. 20, Quartermaster of the 1st class. Commissioned Ensign in the U.S.N.R.F. Jan. 8, 1918, and ordered to Hicks Field, Fort Worth, Tex., for duty with the R.A.F., Feb. 7. Ordered to Hampton Roads, Va., for instruction on H-12 and H-16 flying boats, March 3. Ordered to Bay Shore, L.I., Apr. 4, and to Port Washington, L.I., to test Smith Fighter. Oct. 1, commissioned Lieutenant (j.g.), U.S.N.R.F. Dec. 7, flew from Bay Shore to Brunswick, Ga. Ordered to Miami, Fla., Jan. 8, 1919, and put on inactive duty March 20.



ENLISTED Apr. 6, 1917, in the U.S.N.R.F. as a Seaman of the 2nd class, and Apr. 19 was assigned to active duty with this rating. June 27, promoted to the rank of Ensign, U.S.N.R., and sent to the Naval Academy for training. Sept. 14, completed the course at the Academy, and was promoted to Ensign (temporary) U.S.N. Nov. 14, assumed command of U.S. Submarine-chaser 254, and proceeded with her to New London, Conn. Jan. 5, 1918, detached from command of U.S. Submarine-chaser 254, and assigned to antisubmarine work at New London, remaining there until discharged. June 1, promoted to Lieutenant (j.g.), (temporary), U.S.N., and Sept. 21 promoted to Lieutenant (temporary), U.S.N. March 4, 1919, resignation of last commission accepted. The work at New London consisted for five months of the development of listening devices and anti-submarine tactics; for four months of the instruction of enlisted men in the use of the devices; and for five months of commanding officers' school of instruction in the devices. Published two pamphlets on anti-submarine tactics and listening device school.



ENLISTED three times, each time being rejected on account of a recent operation. Sailed for France in Oct., 1917, to enter the Personnel Bureau in the Paris Office of the A.R.C. After a time was given the rank of 1st Lieutenant and put in charge. When the German drive started in March, 1918, volunteered to go to the front with supplies, and March 27 left Paris on half-an-hour's notice and continued in the A.R.C. service at the front until the armistice. Served at Compiègne, Jouy-sur-Morin, Château-Thierry, Montmirail, and the Argonne. Received a Captain's commission early in the summer of 1918.



WENT to the 1st Plattsburg Training Camp in Aug., 1915. Joined the New York Naval Militia, Aviation Section, in Apr., 1916, and the National Naval Volunteers in Apr., 1917. Naval Aviator No. 176, Nov. 15, 1917. Made Ensign, U.S.N.R.F., Class 5, Dec. 12; and became Executive Officer, U.S. Naval Aviation Forces, Italy, in Apr., 1918. Commissioned Lieutenant (j.g.) Oct. 1; Lieutenant (s.g.), Jan. 1,1919; and became Naval Aide to the Commander-in-Chief Jan. 3, 1919. Placed upon inactive service March 16, 1919.



ENLISTED Aug. 9, 1917, in the U.S.N.R.F. Called to duty as Chief Boatswain's Mate Aug. 27, 1917, shore duty, and commissioned Jan. 3, 1918, shore duty until July 25, 1918. Then went on a submarine-chaser in the 3rd Naval District until Sept. 9, and thereafter served on U.S.S. North Carolina until discharged Dec. 2, 1918.



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R. May 3, 1917. Served as G.M. of the second class on S.P. 56 off Newport until the end of Sept. Commissioned Ensign Oct. 3, and ordered as Executive Officer to U.S. Submarine-chaser 130 at Norfolk. Left New London for Corfu, Greece, Apr. 25, and arrived about the end of June. Stationed at Corfu working on the Otranto Barrage until the armistice. Ordered to command U.S. Submarine-chaser 216, Aug. 25, and was made Lieutenant (j.g.), Jan. 16, 1919. Arrived in the U.S. with U.S. Submarine-chaser 216 May 16, 1919.



ORDERED into active service May 10, 1917, and sailed as Orthopaedic Surgeon to the Presbyterian Unit (U.S. Base Hospital 2) May 14, the first troops to leave New York, and the second unit to arrive abroad. Arrived in France May 30, and took over General Hospital No. 1, B.E.F. Sent to the front as head of operating team, with Barclay Parsons '06 as assistant, in Nov., 1917. Served at Casualty Clearing Stations Nos. 11, 21, 29, during the battles of Passchendaele and Cambrai. Transferred to the A.E.F. in Feb., 1918, and sent to Base Hospital 15 as Orthopaedic Surgeon. Apr. 18, sent to the 1st French Army as Assistant Surgeon on the operating team, and detailed to ambulances 5/65 at the Centre Hospitalier de Dury, two kilometers south of Amiens. Arrived for the battle of Villers Bretonneux, and remained until May 30. June 15, sent to Evacuation Hospital 7 as Assistant Surgeon on the operating team, remaining there at Coulommiers until Aug. 11, through the Belleau Wood and Château-Thierry offensives. Then transferred to Mobile Hospital 2 at Coincy, and moved with them to Recourt for the battle of St. Mihiel, and at the end of Sept. to Rarecourt for the battle of the Argonne. At that time was head of the operating team. Transferred to Evacuation Hospital 6 Oct. 18, and remained there until after the armistice. Transferred back to Base Hospital No. 2 Dec. 26, 1918, and returned with them to the U.S. Mustered out at Camp Meade, Md., Feb. 13, 1919. Rank, Captain, Med. C. Battles engaged in: Passchendaele, Cambrai, Amiens (1st German offensive, March-Apr., 1918), Belleau Wood, Château-Thierry, June-July; Aisne, Oise, Aug.; St. Mihiel, Sept.; Argonne-Meuse, Sept., Oct., Nov., 1918.



CALLED to active service as Captain, Q.M.C., U.S.A., Apr. 18, 1917. Assistant to the Depot Quartermaster, Boston, Mass. Jan. 2, 1918, transferred to Washington, D.C., as Assistant and Aide to the Acting Quartermaster General. July 10 went overseas, and was stationed at Paris in charge of purchasing, in the office of the Chief Purchasing Agent, Q.M.C. Promoted to the rank of Major May 1. Received the decoration of Chevalier de l'Ordre National de la Légion d'Honneur, Apr. 4, 1919. Discharged Jan. 28, 1919.



HOLYOXE LEWIS WHITNEY was born in Boston on the thirteenth of January, 1897, the son of Richard S. Whitney and Mary (Lewis) Whitney. After attending private and primary schools in Dedham he went to Germany to learn the language, settled in Hanover, and attended the Guildermeister School. On his return to America two and a half years later he was prepared by a private tutor to enter St. Mark's, as while abroad he lacked the teaching in certain branches required for entrance. He entered the First Form in 1910, and graduated in 1916. While at school he was of marked ability in athletics, and played on the eleven. He was also chosen as a monitor because of his loyalty to St. Mark's and the confidence he had won from the other members of the school. He entered Harvard in 1916, and there continued his successful activity in athletics, playing on the freshman eleven against Yale, and rowing on the crew. He joined the R.O.T.C., and in the summer of 1917 went again to Plattsburg, returning to Harvard in the fall.


On January fifth, 1918, he went to the Officers' Training School at Camp Upton, and in April elected to go abroad and finish his training. He was made Sergeant of Company E, 305th Infantry, and on the thirteenth of July received his commission as Second Lieutenant, and was sent to Company K, 109th Infantry, a part of the Twenty-eighth Division. He was wounded in the foot by shrapnel about the first of October, and returned to his Company a short time before the armistice was declared. He was accidentally shot while cleaning his pistol, at Woinville, France, on the twenty-fifth of November, and was buried with full military honors in a cemetery near Buxerulles, France. A short time before his death he had been recommended by Major Machen, of his Company, for his first lieutenancy.

He seems thoroughly to have enjoyed his experience in the ranks, and gave it as his conviction that from there only could an adequate account of the war be written. He had a very strong artistic sense, and considerable ability in drawing. The following description of a night march taken from a letter, is characteristic of his marked skill in writing: "Everything is quiet; no talking and no smoking. All that can be seen is rank after rank of men with soup-bowl steel hats, and packs that make them look somehow deformed in the dusk. The sense of their deformity is heightened by the gas masks worn on their chests, and the rifle barrels sticking up at all possible angles. The column is only half seen, and at a little distance the only indication that there are marching troops is a vague, dark blur, and the steady clump, clump of marching feet, together with the occasional rattle of a bayonet in the scabbard, or a low-voiced command passing down the column from man to man. And when they fall out for a rest the stacked rifles stand out black against the sky, and the men are a solid, unquiet, whispering mass. The silence is broken only by a few whisperings in the air, which are shells; and crashes, which are guns and bursting shrapnel . . . . There is a subtle difference in the French troops; their hats are more curved and narrower, and they always wear their long overcoats. Their packs are different, too, and they carry their long, thin rifles with the barrels pointing straight up. Their blue uniforms are practically invisible at night and at dawn, and they march with a quicker step than our men, probably because they are smaller, which almost gives the impression of a shuffle. Certainly it is quiet and eager."

Holyoke Whitney, like Edwin Abbey, has through his unusual gift of expression unconsciously left behind him in his letters the record of a faith which is priceless to American manhood. Plunged from all he loved into an apparently senseless, hopeless welter of good and evil, his sensitive spirit rose cleanly and strongly above it, and surveyed it with the undeceived eye of the soldier of Christ. He says in his letters, "the whole business is sensible," and "I believe that God ordains that all things have their reasons, and that He allows nothing to be wrong at last." "Patrols and working-parties, billets and generals and 'strikers' and mess, and men of the South and men of the North, foreigners and Jews and men of other armies, and traits and experiences and faults and brutality and fineness and sorrow and apathy and recklessness and cold nerve!" And also, --- although Whitney was not conscious of how the mighty leaven was working through such men as himself, ---deathless faith and purity of purpose, for in truth "God allows nothing to go wrong at last!" The kindliness, the saving humor, the love, the magnificent manhood which cried out in agony only at the death of a friend, ---these were what such as Whitney brought to the apparently hopeless chaos. Of himself he could think only as touching what should be required of him: "If I am called I shall be proud and very happy. I hardly dare think of the honor as belonging to myself, for I have seen it, and cannot describe it." But the honor, the undying honor came to this boy who loved mother, father and brother, friend, school and country above all else, and counted it a pride and a happiness to lay down his life for their sakes; and so, like the sunset after storm, all was at last right with the world.

Although we could not measure its strength, Whitney's companions at St. Mark's knew and reverenced the spirit that was in him. Fearless and manly, independent, keenly humorous and sincere, he nevertheless drew the breath of his life from the love of his relatives and friends: the world would have been unintelligible to him without it. He tells how he shall try when he returns to say what is in his heart to those whose love is all in all to him at his post in the world's awful task, as though it were he that was the debtor. But his noble letters reveal a faith that is unshakable, and we know that here is the eternal rock against which no evil can ever prevail. He died for his faith, as heroes die, by the merest chance; but though we mourn him as it is permitted us to mourn, his manhood and devotion will never call in vain to all that is strong and unselfish in the School that he loved and honored.



ENTERED the Y.M.C.A. service Jan. 1, 1918, as Director of Athletics at Camp Hill, Va., and resigned Aug. 1. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant of Engineers Aug. 13, and ordered to the 4th Engineer O.T.C. at Camp Humphreys, Va. Belonged to Company A, which constructed a 225-foot pontoon bridge on the Potomac River in fifteen minutes, eleven and three-fifths seconds, breaking the world's record by more than a minute. Oct. 28, assigned to duty with the 4th Engineer Training Regiment, Camp Humphreys. Assigned Dec. 1 to special duty in charge of road construction at Camp Humphreys. Honorably discharged from service at the same Camp Jan. 8, 1919.



AFTER being discharged from the Federal service on return from the Mexican border, re-entered the Federal service July 25, 1917, as a Captain of Infantry, and was assigned to the command of the 1st Company, Military Police, 27th Division. Assigned Dec. 8 to the General Staff, and appointed Assistant Chief of Staff, G-3, 27th Division. Sailed for France in Feb., 1918, to attend the Army General Staff College at Langres; graduated May 30; was assigned as Observer at the front for one week; then assigned as Assistant Chief of Staff, 27th Division, and served also as Assistant G-3, 2nd Corps, A.E.F., until July 15. Served with the 27th Division in Flanders, and was then assigned as Assistant G-3, 4th Corps, A.E.F., in charge of the Operations Bureau of the 3rd Section of the General Staff, 4th Corps. Served through the St. Mihiel battle, and until Sept. 25, when appointed Assistant G-3 in charge of the Operations Bureau, 3rd Section, General Staff, 2nd Army, A.E.F. Later appointed Deputy G-3, 2nd Army, and served with it through the final operations of the war. After the armistice, Dec. 20, was assigned to special work at General Hq. Promoted to Major Aug. 13, 1918; recommended by General Pershing for promotion to Lieutenant-Colonel; subsequently recommended for promotion to Colonel; and recommended for the Distinguished Service Medal. Returned home in Feb., 1919, and was discharged Feb. 19. Cited by General Pershing for services at St. Mihiel; awarded the Legion of Honor (Chevalier) by the French Government; and made Commander, Order of Danilo of Montenegro. Took part in the battles of St. Mihiel, and in the final operations of the 2nd Army, A.E.F. The citation from General Pershing is "for exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous services."



ENTERED the Plattsburg Training Camp in Aug., 1917, and received a commission as Captain of Infantry Nov. 8, 1917. Assigned immediately to overseas service with the War Risk Insurance. Arrived in Paris Dec. 26, and was assigned to direct the writing of war risk insurance among officers and men of the 1st, 2nd, 42nd and 26th Divisions stationed at Neuf Château. Feb. 1, 1918, appointed Assistant Chief Liaison Officer for the purpose of organizing liaison service in and about Paris, and with the army in the field. Stationed in Paris. At the end of March, 1918, assigned to the Staff of the 1st Division, and served with the 1st Division in Apr., May and June, being stationed during this period with the 162nd and 60th French Divisions. Transferred in July to the Staff of the 5th American Corps, and stationed with the 33rd French Corps in the Vosges, remaining there until Sept. Then assigned by G-3 at Chaumont to the Staff of General Maistre, commanding the French Group of Armies of the Centre, and remained there until Dec. 19, 1918. Sept. 12, 1918, promoted to Major of Infantry. The 1st Division (American) and the 162nd and 60th French Divisions held a portion of the line in front of Montdidier. The 33rd French Corps held the Vosges mountains from north of St. Die to Thann. General Maistre commanded the 4th and 5th French Armies on the left of the American 1st Army in the Argonne. Ordered home in Dec., 1918, and mustered out of the service Jan. 7, 1919. Awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, and the Cross of the Legion of Honor, and was also cited by General Maistre. The citations follow.

By General Maistre:

"Il a exécuté tout d'abord le service de liaison avec les D.I. américaines, qui ont pris part aux opérations de la IV Armée. Au cours des opérations de cette Armée en combinaison avec l'Armée américaine, du 1er au 7 novembre, il a assuré une liaison très suivie entre le Groupe d'Armées et l'Armée américaine. Grâce à sa haute valeur personnelle, à ses sentiments élevés, à son tact parfait, aux connaissances techniques et à l'expérience acquise au cours de ses stages antérieurs dans les Etats-Majors français et américains, ainsi qu'aux sympathies qu'il a su s'y créer, le Major WICKES a été un collaborateur des plus précieux pour l'Etat-Major du Groupe d'Armées. MAISTRE."

"The Distinguished Service Medal is awarded to you for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services."

"He showed rare ability in the preliminary organization of the American Liaison Service, and wide comprehension of the importance of forward Inter-Allied Liaison. While attached to the French Division in Liaison with the First American Division, he performed exacting duties of a delicate nature with tact and energy, achieving signal success. He aided materially in the maintenance of cordial relations between the French and American Military Authorities, his service being continually marked by ability, sound judgment and devotion to duty."



JOINED Base Hospital 15, June 21, 1917. Sailed as a Private July 2nd, and landed in France July 16. Worked as French Interpreter and operating-room Orderly until Feb., 1918. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant, Sanitary Corps, in Feb., 1918, and served as Aide and Liaison Officer to General J. M. T. Furney, Chief of all surgery in the A.E.F. Sailed for America Jan. 12, 1919, and was discharged Jan. 28.



ENLISTED in Aug., 1917, in the Norton-Harjes Volunteer Ambulance Unit, Section 5, "Formation Harjes," attached to a division of the Chasseurs Alpins, known as the "Blue Devils" of the French Army, and saw active service at the front in the French offensive on the Chemin des Dames in Oct., serving through nearly that entire action, until relieved by an American Ambulance Unit from Allentown, Pa. Returned to the U.S. in Dec. Sailed again for France in Jan., 1918, and joined the "Foyers du Soldat," an activity of the Y.M.C.A., serving as a Directeur of one of these just west of Rheims, again at Fère Champenoise, on the Aisne at Berneuil, and at Conde-sur-Aisne consecutively until Nov. 11, the day of the armistice. Released, and returned to America in Dec., 1918.



ENLISTED as a Private in the 1st Squadron, N.J. Cavalry, June 20, 1916. Discharged Apr. 2, 1917, to accept a commission as Captain of Cavalry. Resigned the cavalry commission on account of inability to pass the physical examination. Went to Washington Apr. 5 as Assistant to the Director, Council of National Defence. Appointed by the Secretary of War June 13 to the Committee on Council of National Defence to purchase public animals and to organize the Remount Service. Commissioned Oct. 12 as Lieutenant-Colonel. Went to France Jan. 20. Attached to G-1, General Hq., G-4, S.O.S., and was Assistant Chief of Remount. Went to Luxembourg as Remount Officer, 3rd Army. Returned from there to the American Commission to Negotiate Peace. Was liaison with the French Remount Service; Chief of Liaison Division, American Commission to Negotiate Peace; and for a time one of the Secretaries of the Big Ten. Officer of the Legion of Honor.



SERVED as a Seaman in the Naval Reserve, on duty in the Second Naval District. Dec. 28, 1917, commissioned as Ensign, and served aboard U.S.S. Cincinnati in foreign waters. Discharged Dec. 20, 1918.



FROM May to Aug., 1917, at the 1st Plattsburg Camp. Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, Q.M.C. In Nov., 1918, commissioned 1st Lieutenant Q.M.C. Discharged at St. Aignan, France, in May, 1919.



IN Apr. and May, 1917, organized Battery D, 2nd Mass. F.A., Mass. N.G.; was elected 2nd Lieutenant, and qualified before the board of examiners of the Mass. N.G. at the State House, Boston, May 25. Studied at the Mass. F.A. Training Camp at Methuen, and qualified as 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army in July. Mobilized with the Mass. F.A. at Boxford, Mass., July 29. The 2nd Mass. F.A. then became the 102nd F.A., 51st Artillery Brigade of the 26th (Yankee) Division, and left the U.S. for overseas service Sept. 21, arriving in France Oct. 5. Trained at Coetquidan during the months of Oct., Nov., and Dec., and attended the 1st Corps Artillery School at Gondrecourt during Jan., 1918. First went into the front lines at Soissons (Chemin des Dames sector) Feb. 5. Held this sector until the latter part of March. Then transferred to the Toul sector, opposite Metz, and at the base of Mt. Sec. The Division held this sector until late in June, fighting the battles of Seicheprey Apr. 19 and Xivray-Marvoisin June 17. July 4 the Division was placed in Picardy, where it was expected that the Germans planned to make the July drive; but when the drive did not materialize it was shifted, July 8, to Château-Thierry, where it relieved the 2nd Division. July 18 the Division started its big drive against the Germans, a drive which did not stop until the enemy was driven back more than thirty kilometers at the Vesle. The 51st F.A. Brigade fought steadily in this offensive from July 18 to Aug. 8, supporting no less than four divisions of infantry. In Sept., while the 26th Division was preparing to take its place as a part of the 1st American Army in the St. Mihiel offensive, was relieved from duty with the A.E.F., and ordered back to the U.S. as an Instructor in liaison, having served as Artillery Liaison Officer with the 101st, 102nd, 103rd and 104th Infantry Regiments in action. Upon arriving in the U.S., was promoted to the rank of 1st Lieutenant, the promotion dating from June 30, and ordered to join the overseas officers on the teaching staff of the F.A. Brigade Firing Centre at Camp Knox, Ky. Remained as a member of this staff, instructing in liaison and French maps, until discharged from the U.S. Army Dec. 10. Cited by General Clarence R. Edwards, commanding the 26th Division, for meritorious service on July 21, 1918, "voluntarily establishing an observation post and remaining on duty there twelve consecutive hours despite a dangerous and persistent hostile artillery fire, thereby rendering great assistance to his own battery and other batteries of the 102nd F.A. in directing their fire."



FROM May to Aug., 1917, at the 1st Camp, For Sheridan, Ill.; then joined the 333rd F.A. as 2nd Lieutenant, F.A., at Camp Grant, Ill. In foreign service from Dec. 13, 1917, to Feb. 1, 1919, with the 2nd F.A. Brigade, 2nd Division, and G-2, General Hq.



FRANCIS APPLETON WOOD was born in Ipswich, Mass., on the second of June, 1894, at Briar Hill, the home of his grandfather the Rev. John Cotton Smith, on Appleton Farms, where his forefathers had lived from colonial days. He was the son of Chalmers Wood and Ellen Appleton (Smith) Wood. He lived during the winters in New York, and attended Cutler School before entering the Fourth Form at St. Mark's in 1909. He graduated from St. Mark's in 1912, and entered Columbia College with the class of 1916, completing the college course in three years. In the summer of 1915 he went abroad, and in the fall started work in New York as a broker. He had enlisted in the Seventh Regiment, and in the summer of 1916 went to the Mexican border, where he was soon commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the 169th Regiment, New York National Guard. He had just returned to his business when the war broke out.


Resigning his commission, he chose the Air Service; took his ground training at the Boston School of Technology; and was sent for training to the Royal Flying Corps in Canada and Texas, where he obtained his second lieutenancy and his "wings" in the United States Aviation Corps. He sailed for England, and trained there at a flying school in Norfolk and at the Central Flying School. He was commissioned a First Lieutenant, and in August sent to the front with the 99th Bombing Squadron in Alsace, a reprisal squadron with the British Independent Air Force. On September thirteenth his Squadron was called upon to help the Americans in their St. Mihiel salient attack by harassing the German troops between Pont-à-Mousson and Metz at the east of the American sector. Wood and his British observer, Lieutenant Bridget, volunteered for this precarious mission. The planes were to fly singly over the lines, leaving the field at half-hour intervals. The low clouds forced them to fly at a height of less than 600 meters from the ground. They made their way up the river, dropping bombs on the German troops and scattering them with machinegun fire. But the German anti-aircraft batteries, aided by the low clouds of known altitude, had been silently setting their guns on them, and as they turned at Metz for home the batteries one after another opened their accurate fire. Wood's plane fell at Jouy-aux-Arches, a small town fifteen kilometers south of Metz. His observer was killed with him, shot through the head. They were buried by the Germans in Metz. After the armistice Wood's body was removed to the American cemetery at Thiaucourt, where it now rests.

Francis Wood was beloved by young and old; he seemed to radiate a friendship so irresistible as to be almost a visible force. From the President of his University; from the elderly friend who as stranger to his family must "apologize for paying her tribute to her brave soldier boy"; from a great artist; from schoolmates; from his Colonel in the Seventh, and from hosts of others, testimony to his manliness and sweetness of character reveal the immensity of the sacrifice. War he hated with every instinct; but his duty was stronger in him than any instinct; and if his friends grieve at his loss they also feel a joy and gratitude that his beautiful life was long enough to brighten forever the lives of all who knew him.

This is the short account, says one of these friends, of one who, like so many others, left the glad life he loved to meet his destiny in death, bravely, long before his day. But those who knew him see far beyond the recordings of his life. To them the vision in his young eyes, now closed, lives on with the beauty of his face and the undying inspiration of his blameless life. Like the shining knight of other days who, falling, left to those he loved his sword and shield, so does Francis Wood leave to us his possessions,---gentleness and courtesy and honor,---which we shall guard as we would guard his sword, bright and undimmed forever in our memory. And even as we look beyond the mere chances of his life, so do we look beyond his death. No one was by him when he died; but how clearly we see him. Reproach was not in his eyes when he saw beneath him his inevitable fate. Calm and brave, unwilling yet unquestioning, fearless, he met death as he had met life, courageous and faithful, unflinching and unafraid.



ENLISTED at Fort Slocum, New York, Apr. 5, 1918. Transferred to the Curtiss Aero and Motor Corporation, Apr. 12. Served as a Private in the A.S. until Oct. 5. Received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the A.S., Oct. 5. Ordered to the Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company Oct. 8, to be Approvals Officer for the 300 horse-power Hispana-Suiza aeroplane motor, until discharged Apr. 11, 1919.



FROM Oct. 1, 1917, to Aug. 21, 1918, Red Cross Chaplain of Base Hospital No. 1; from Aug. 21 to Oct. 12, Red Cross Chaplain of Mobile Hospital No. 2; from Oct. 12 to Feb. 13, 1919, Chaplain (1st Lieutenant), U.S.A., of Mobile Hospital No. 2. Engaged in the battles at St. Mihiel and the Argonne forest.



ENLISTED in the U.S.N.R.F., Feb. 15, 1918, as Landsman Electrician, Radio. Soon changed rating to Seaman of the 2nd class. Made one of the crew of the U.S.S. Rochester, a convoy cruiser. Released from active service Jan. 15, 1919.



ENLISTED as a Major in the Engineer Al. Aug. 7, 1917. Aug. 8 left for overseas service, and during the war was stationed in Paris, acting as American Delegate on the Executive Committee of the Inter-Allied War Wood Commission. Left France June 17, 1919, arriving in New York June 27. Mustered out July 15, as Lieutenant-Colonel. Cited by General Pershing Apr. 19, 1919, and received the following decorations: Chevalier, Légion d'Honneur (France); Distinguished Service Order (England) ; Chevalier, Order of Leopold (Belgium). The citations follow.

"For exceptionally meritorious and conspicuous service at Tours, France, American Expeditionary Forces, in testament thereof, and as an expression of these services, I award him this citation. Awarded on April 19, 1919. John J. Pershing."

The Distinguished Service Order was awarded "for distinguished services to the Allied Cause."

The French Legion of Honor and the Belgian Order of Leopold were awarded for the same reasons.



PRIVATE, S.S.U. 635, U.S. A.A.S. with the French Army. Went to France as a member of the A.A.F.S., enlisted in Paris Nov. 10, 1917, and continued in foreign service until March 27, 1919. Discharged at Camp Dix, N.J., Apr. 4, 1919. Took part in the following battles, etc.: Champagne sector, Dec. 3, 1917, to Jan. 20, 1918; Somme defensive, March 31 to Apr. 14; Aisne sector, May 8 to 27; Aisne defensive, May 21 to June 3; Montdidier-Noyon defensive, June 4 to 16; Verdun sector, July 6 to Sept. 12; St. Mihiel offensive, Sept. 12 to 16; St. Mihiel sector, Sept. 16 to Oct. 18; Meuse-Argonne offensive, Oct. 30 to Nov. 11, 1918. The following citation is for the Croix de Guerre.

"Conducteur très brave et très dévoué. S'est fait remarquer par son courage au cours des opérations de l'Aisne (28 mai-15 juin 1918) en évacuant de nombreux blessés dans une zone battue par l'artillerie ennemie."


WENT to the 2nd O.T.C., Fort Snelling, Minn., in Aug., 1917. Commissioned Captain of Infantry in Nov. Attached to Company A and M.G. Company, 364th Infantry, Camp Lewis, Washington, from jan. to June, 1918. Promoted to Major, Infantry, Aug. 18. Commanding Battalion, M.G., 13th Division, Camp Lewis, Washington, from Aug. to Dec. Commanding Officer of Convalescent Centre, Camp Lewis, Washington, from Feb. to May, 1919. At present Member of Board of Special Survey, 461 Eighth Avenue, New York, N.Y. [Feb., 1920.]



Number in Service


Died in Service


United States Army


British Army


French Army and Foreign Legion


United States Navy


Military Air Service


Naval Air Service


British Military Air Service


Naval Intelligence


Marine Corps


Volunteer Ambulance


Red Cross


Naval Training Camps


Marine Training Camps


Young Men's Christian Association




Unclassified (served with more than one branch, etc.)


No reports (Service as learned from other sources):  
     United States Army


     Training Camps


     British Army


     British Military Air Service


     No information received



United States Army Officers: Colonel, 1; Lieutenant-Colonel, 14; Major, 28; Captain, 65; 1st Lieutenant, 59; 2nd Lieutenant, 37; Provisional 2nd Lieutenant, 1.

French and Foreign Legion Officers: 1st Lieutenant, 1; Sous-Lieutenant, 4.

British Army Officers: Lieutenant-Colonel, 1; 2nd Lieutenant, 2.

United States Navy Officers: Commander, 1; Lieutenant-Commander, 2; Lieutenant, 6; Lieutenant (j.g.), 19; Ensign, 15.

United States Military Air Service Officers: Major, 5; Captain, 9; 1st Lieutenant, 15; Lieutenant (j.g.), 2; 2nd Lieutenant, 12.

United States Naval Air Service Officers: Lieutenant-Commander, 1; Lieutenant, 4; Lieutenant (j.g.), 2; Ensign, 4.

British Military Air Service Officers: 1st Lieutenant, 1; 2nd Lieutenant, 1; 1st Flight Lieutenant, 2.

Naval Intelligence Officers: Lieutenant, 1; Lieutenant (j.g.), 1.

Marine Corps Officers: 1st Lieutenant, 1; 2nd Lieutenant, 3.

Red Cross Officers: Major, 2; Captain, 5; 1st Lieutenant, 1.

Young Men's Christian Association: Divisional Secretary, 1.

No report: (rank as learned from other sources) --- Army: Major, 1; Captain, 1; 1st Lieutenant, 1; 2nd Lieutenant, 1. British Military Air Service: Captain, 1.



  General Citations


  Cited and recommended for the Croix de Guerre


  Cited and recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross


  Cited and recommended for the Distinguished Service Medal




       Congressional Medal


       Distinguished Service Medal


       Distinguished Service Cross


       Navy Cross




       Légion d'Honneur


       Médaille Militaire


       Croix de Guerre


       Fourragère de la Médaille Militaire


       Fourragère de la Croix de Guerre


       Médaille d'Honneur


       Médaille des Epidémies


       Médaille du Service Bénévole


       Officier, Instruction Publique


       American Field Service Medal




       Distinguished Service Order


       Military Cross


       Victorian Order


       Mons Star




       Knight Officer, Crown of Italy


       War Cross




       Order of Leopold


       Order of St. Stanislas


       Order of Danilo


       Honors from the City of Antwerp


       Degree of Master of Arts, Harvard College